Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: I Need alittle help  (Read 5141 times)

Ranger_Dave

Re: I Need alittle help
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2016, 08:44:54 PM »

Use the powdered Iron Out. It contains; Sodium carbonate, Sodium hydrosulfite, Sodium metabisulfite, Citric acid, Sodium sulfite, and Sodium bisulfite.

The liquid Iron Out contains; Oxalic acid, 1,2-Propanediol (aka Ppropylene glycol).

I've had better luck with the powered version when cleaning rust stained quartz and jasper.

crazyjays

« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2016, 09:35:31 PM »

Here are photos of the 3 rocks in the bath. I for got to place a ruler to show the size.  :Bash:
I will do that after the bath when cleaning is done.

Gergis

• Global Moderator
  • "I MILK MY ROCKS"
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2016, 08:47:33 AM »

Are you gonna slab those when they're all cleaned up?

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk

crazyjays

« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2016, 09:00:44 AM »

The goal is to slab them. When i get a slab saw.  :LOLOL:
I should be able to get a slab saw in July or Aug,

They cleaned up real good. I didnt even need to use the brush to them.
I should be able to add the photos of them later to do.

Enchantra

• Head Bead Nut
  • Administrator
  • Insane Bead Woman
    • Enchanted Regalia
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2016, 10:12:30 AM »

Around here, our caliche is hardly affected by vinegar or muriatic acid. I'm not sure what it is, probably silica-heavy something, but my windows and toilet bowls sure could use an easy way to remove those deposits.

Same problem I have.  Caliche is a nasty creature.  I swear it has it's own life form to it.  I can get a hole dug through it, and break through that layer, plant something, water well and I swear it reforms on the surface of the watering well of the tree.  I periodically need to go in and break it up.  Mind you my watering wells on trees are good sized and deep. Often six inches deep by a good five feet wide - and that is for a 5 gallon tree.  Some of my neighbors think I'm nuts.  But I plant mostly natives, water them really darned good, then wait several weeks before watering again so the roots go down towards water.  My neighbors all have the drip irrigation they run on their trees for an hour every week and seem to think that is going to sufficiently water their trees and allow the roots to grow properly.  I wonder how many of the Ash trees my neighbor has planted will go over in storms in the next decade because their roots stayed in this tiny itty-bitty hole?

I get the toilet rings all the time.  I found a stone called a "Pumie" at the store marketed for taking scale off toilet bowls.  It's pumice on a stick!  It works too, no chemicals required.  Vinegar and citric acid really haven't touched it.  Despite using a squeegee on our glass shower doors, we still have buildup that I cannot get off no matter what I use - vinegar, citric acid, bleach, Citrus cleaner - none of it works.  I'm starting to think it's something other than calcium myself.  I'm tempted to make a solution of CLR to spray it with and see if that works.  The problem I have is I am on a Septic so I need to be careful of what I use.

As for the rock - if you know it is solid jasper/agate/quartz, using the vinegar is a good option.  I also second the motion of soaking it in baking soda and water to neutralize any acid residue that remain, then rinse off the rock afterwards.  Goodluck and show us what you find under that white stuff!

Gergis

• Global Moderator
  • "I MILK MY ROCKS"
« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2016, 05:44:22 PM »

Saaweeettt!! :-) when you do and and if you are going to try to sell some I am certainly interested in a thick(1/2"-3/4") slab each of those conglomerate stones they look promising ;-)

crazyjays

« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2016, 06:35:38 PM »

[/quote]
Saaweeettt!! :-) when you do and and if you are going to try to sell some I am certainly interested in a thick(1/2"-3/4") slab each of those conglomerate stones they look promising ;-)

[/quote]

I did not have time(more like sun light) to get the photo of the other rock that looks pretty good too.
Just remind me im thinking of just doing polls in a forum on what to slab up each time.

Jay 

crazyjays

« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2016, 02:56:52 PM »

Here are the 2 rocks that got a bath.

Kaljaia

« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2016, 08:09:21 PM »

Looks like they sure cleaned up nice! That conglomerate is stunning.
- Erika

I rock hunt in the Antelope/Ashwood area of the John Day river basin in Oregon.
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.102 seconds with 44 queries.