Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Yellow Cat petrified wood  (Read 3557 times)

Jhon P

Yellow Cat petrified wood
« on: August 18, 2017, 06:33:13 PM »

End cut that I polished. Stuff has a lot of fractures

lithicbeads

• Administrator
Re: Yellow Cat petrified wood
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2017, 08:47:47 PM »

Do you know what state that is from ?

Orrum

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2017, 04:53:07 AM »

Nice bright colors!  Like the size, it's a case of fractured material is ok you just need to cab between the fractures!  One great piece of rough has one great slab that has one great cabochon. Simple.

peruano

• Retired Zoologist
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2017, 05:51:28 AM »

We are talking about the yellow cat mine area North of Moab are we not?
Combining a love of bikes (pedal and otherwise) with hiking, hounding, lapidary, and the great outdoors

Slabbercabber

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2017, 06:25:25 AM »

Yellow Cat area is North of Moab.  It is just South of I-70.  The exit from Utah is marked as such.  If you are traveling West the exit is just marked "Ranch Exit".  It is a large area but well picked over.  Nonetheless, there is still a lot of spectacular material to be found by the adventurous.  Climbing offers the best chance of finding good material just because most people don't do it.  If you go, stay away from the mine.  It is a uranium mine and my gieger counter went wild anywhere within several hundred feet.  There is a grape agate area just above the mine but it is also hot and just a quick walk through it convinced me that not only is it not worth it but there is very little left anyway.  The petrified wood is among the best in the world and there is always the chance of finding dino bone fragments.  For the life of me I can't remember the mineral but there are lots of red bubbly nodules that are pure white inside.  Most are less than one inch but if you are there for long it is likely you will find larger ones.

Sandsave

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2017, 08:49:49 AM »

Real slim pickens unless your lucky or want to hike, I had the grand kids with me last time so I was unable to really rockhound.

yukonjade

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2017, 03:44:07 PM »

That area of Utah was heavily mined for uranium in 40s 50s etc, The miners found a lot of petrified wood and dino bone that would peg the scale on their gieger counters. Subsequentially the rockhound community was notified mostly by word of mouth to be wary and pack a gieger counter. :director:
 I have heard that yellow cat wood is Redwood :icon_scratch:
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.097 seconds with 39 queries.