Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Old Poly Products Arbor Project - motor size  (Read 470 times)

Old Timer

Old Poly Products Arbor Project - motor size
« on: September 04, 2022, 07:37:56 AM »

Finally getting back around to this project after a year at least of it sitting. What a time I had getting the shaft out. Even had to take it to machine shop and get the threads fixed as I had buggered them up. Anyway first question I had was what size motor should I get for it? My goal is to polish small agatized coral cut pairs as I am cutting a lot of geodes now I have had for many years. Figured to put some expandable drums on it. I am going to build a bench for it with water, drip pan, etc. Does anyone know of a video out there of someone with a similar type arbor project? Looks like when the belt wears out you have to disassembly everything which makes no sense to me. Would like a new one but I surely can't afford a new one so I am hoping I can bring this guy back to life. Once I get the motor then I will get to work building a bench for it.

Old Timer

Re: Old Poly Products Arbor Project - motor size
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2022, 07:49:06 AM »

OK so I feel dumb. Found my old post and someone mentioned a 1/3HP motor. Someone else (Geo Tech) was in the middle of refurbishing a few of these. Any thing to watch out for after you got the job done? Well at least you guys see it tore apart now. I got new bearings to install but still need to clean things up a bit.

modlite_83

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2022, 08:03:54 AM »

I just made mine not to long ago and i can help you with it if you would like if you need any info? And if you want to know size motor i would go a 1/2 horse power motor any thing more than that or less that that i found out just wont work at all. Plus I wire a foot switch for mine so i did not always have to turn it off and on and wearing out a spst switch

modlite_83

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2022, 08:05:20 AM »

I would recomend going to the website called kingsly north inc they have some new parts and pick up a new pulls those look like they are crack. Are they crack?

gunsil

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2022, 01:22:19 PM »

Old washing machines are a good source for free or nearly free 1/3 hp electric motors. If you see one at the dump or alongside the road they are usually easy to get the motor from and it's usually the gearbox or controller that causes them to get tossed out. No matter where you get your motor make sure it's a 1725 rpm motor and not a 3450 rpm one. I'd definitely use a new belt but don't worry a belt lasts a long time on these machines, you will likely never have to change it. I'd make an adjustable motor mount so I could adjust belt tension as it stretches. They also sell adjustable pulleys which allow a change of wheel speed by changing the working diameter of the pulley. My old Raytech 8" grinder/polisher has this type of pulley and it is fantastic to be able to change grinding speeds as required or desired.

Old Timer

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2022, 01:57:09 PM »

Thanks for the help everyone. Modlite 83 can you post or send me a picture of your setup. Would help give me some ideas. I have some old motors around but may go ahead and get a new one. I will see what I got. I bought a new one for my Lortone 10" saw and it is running like a champ. I think I paid 90 bucks for a new motor. Got to buy the expandable drums too so time to get off some cash.

Old Timer

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2022, 02:01:51 PM »

Oh and the pulleys are good. Will probable just use the single belt one and keep it simple.

modlite_83

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2022, 09:07:06 AM »

I personally would not use them with out giving bath then in some rust removing product but i am glad they are good thenn

Old Timer

« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2022, 02:08:34 PM »

So this is the pulley that was on the unit. On the big end it has a clam shell looking piece that does not hold a belt. The outer piece is loose and has a slight flange that holds it on. Not sure what purpose it serves except maybe it protects the pully/housing when you have to tap the shaft out. The pulley is steel. Can you still get an exact replacement? I feel there is a reason it is built like this but I am new at this.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.157 seconds with 39 queries.