Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Graves Grinding Machine Drive Belt  (Read 511 times)

RoadCut

Graves Grinding Machine Drive Belt
« on: January 29, 2023, 05:43:58 PM »

I referbished an old Graves Caberet cabbing machine(#9898) that was given to my Gem and Mineral club. Before I take it apart can anyone tell me what size drive belt the machine uses?  The manual was not included when the machine was donated and I cannot find one on the internet. We have been using the machine but the belt is making noises and we would like change the belt before the machine is rendered useless and we have to play a guessing game to find a replacement drive belt. Also if someone has a manual for this machine I would love to get a copy. Thank you for any help you can give us.

R.U. Sirius

• asleep at the grinding wheel
Re: Graves Grinding Machine Drive Belt
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2023, 09:59:12 PM »

Pictures would help. There could be many reasons behind a noisy belt - the belt itself, but also worn or misaligned sheaves.

I highly recommend link belts over traditional v-belts - less vibration, adjustment of the length, and easier replacement without having to take everything apart.

RoadCut

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2023, 10:51:53 AM »

Thank you for the information on the link belts.
 I do not have any photos but you could see the fraying on the black belt. I will be in the workshop hopefully on Saturday. The belt is only abut 1/4 inch wide. Vacuum cleaner or  sewing machine belt width.The 1/2 in width of the link belts that I have seen are way to wide.
Bill

kent

• Fine Woodwork and Lapidary
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2023, 07:08:49 AM »

I would also check the pulleys to see if they are secured on their shaft. I've seen pulleys attached with only a set screw and no keyway and they loosen over time.  Could be a subtle movement enough to cause noise.

PlayinwithRocks

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2023, 07:18:30 AM »

Hey, can't give you your answers, but I do have a copy of the manual. I'm a novice and just got this machine, luckily it had the manual! However, sadly it does not look like it has the details on the belt that you were looking for. Please excuse the dots on the first page. There was a phone number already written on it and wanted to remove PII.

peruano

• Retired Zoologist
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2023, 04:38:18 AM »

Take the belt off of the machine and go to an autoparts store for a proper replacement.  I agree that noises don't usually come from frayed belts.  I suspect a loose pulley. 
Combining a love of bikes (pedal and otherwise) with hiking, hounding, lapidary, and the great outdoors

55fossil

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2023, 07:28:22 AM »

I am using a round O Ring belt meant for a large water filter. It is a bit smaller than the Draves Ring but works fine. I did stretch it by hand to get a little extra length, they are very flexible. You can buy the o-rings at Lowe's and a bunch of other places that sell water filters for home systems.
Pentek, Pentair 151122   www.captainoring.com   215-839-6565  I imagine there are more sizes available, but I had several used o-rings and used one of those.

PS:  I will be posting my Graves Spool polisher for sale soon. Need to take pictures, it is like new and works fine.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.091 seconds with 38 queries.