Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Hard wheel sequence  (Read 4545 times)

Orbs777

Hard wheel sequence
« on: August 02, 2015, 09:39:53 AM »

Hello everybody,

I had a question about putting together 8 inch hard wheel sequence.

I was thinking about 80, 180 and 220?  Also, what do you guys think about nova wheels vs diamond belts for expanding drums?

Thank you for any input you can provide. It all sounds good but what the most use for the money. 

lithicbeads

• Administrator
Re: Hard wheel sequence
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2015, 12:25:36 PM »

80 and 220 are fine by themselves. Belts on expando drum tend to be rougher on the bod as they are never exactly round so they bounce a bit. Nova wheels are such high quality and they have no slice joint so they are very smooth and a joy to use. Bouncing may not seem to be a big issue but my hands are worn out and a smooth wheel is important to keep my thumb and finger joints from aching while cutting. Just because the expando does not hurt your hands doesn't mean that it is not putting a lot of little shocks into your hand joints, these add up. I have worn out many expando drums over the years so I am not against expandos but I now use them judiciously.

ToTheSummit

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2015, 05:02:38 PM »

80 and 220 are all you need for the hard wheels.  The 180 step in between is no benefit.  When I built my custom machine I just bought a set of wheels that goes to a Diamond Pacific Titan.  See here...
http://www.jsgemslapidary.com/titan-wheel-set/

Six 8" wheels
Hard 80, 220
Soft 280, 600, 1200, 3000

I love the Nova wheels, but I have never used expandos so I am not one to make comparisons between them.  The 8" set of wheels seemed like a big investment when I made it, but I've been running them for over 2 years and still going strong.  I don't cut as heavily as some folks so my wheels will probably will last a bit longer than some other people, but regardless I think they are a great investment.

lithicbeads

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2015, 06:49:48 PM »

That is my main sequence also. As I cut  a lot at times I have a second machine with an expando and 600, 1200, 8,000 , 14,000 and 50,000 nova wheels. A lot of the unusual stones I like have to be cut with fine grits as they are soft but the titan sequence is a great one.

hummingbirdstones

• Opalholic and General Rock Nut
  • Administrator
    • Hummingbird Stones Lapidary Services
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2015, 07:09:57 PM »

Also our main sequence on our Genies.
Robin

Orbs777

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2015, 09:46:52 PM »

Thanks everyone, I appreciate all the info.  Do the hard wheels 80 and 220 grit normally get replaced the same time or does on usually wear faster than the other?  I am excited to get to work. Looking at a new Titan was very scary, in terms of cost.

lithicbeads

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2015, 10:05:50 PM »

The 220 typically lasts about twice as long.I must say that the wheel Ifeel lost without is the hard 600 wheel. A machine is down at the moment but I love the hard 600 for getting those nasty deep scratches and flat spots out , not that I ever screw up and have deep scratches and flat spots.

Phishisgroovin

• Administrator
  • I am here by addiction
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2015, 05:04:37 AM »

all my wheels are too close to each other, ruined a nice cab yesterday hitting the 100 when i was on the 150
turned off machine and walked away to watch hydroplane races.

ToTheSummit

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2015, 08:05:06 PM »

When I use the Cab King machines at the club shop I am always at a loss how anyone can work with the wheels so close together all the time.  I built my custom machine with a few inches of space between each wheel, and even that feels close at times.

Orbs777

« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2015, 10:08:28 PM »

I agree, what arbor manufacture did you use?

ToTheSummit

« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2015, 06:23:28 PM »

I didn't buy an arbor.  I used a 1" acme threaded rod that is 3 feet long to mount the wheels on.  Its a pretty complex machine.  Has a 14" slab saw, 8" trim saw and the wheels all in one unit and runs off a single 5HP motor.  I nicknamed it 'Frankenstone'.

Orbs777

« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2015, 10:24:12 PM »

I like the name.  Now a perfect time to show us Frakenstone.

ToTheSummit

« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2015, 04:05:36 PM »

When I was building the machine I had a thread dedicated to it, but that was at another forum (I hadn't come to this forum yet).  However, you are welcome to browse through my photos of the project if you like.  Here is a link to the album containing the pictures at photobucket (and don't miss all the sub-folders in there also).

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/ToTheSummit/library/FRANKENSTONE?sort=6&page=1

MrsWTownsend

« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2015, 01:21:16 PM »

When I was building the machine I had a thread dedicated to it, but that was at another forum (I hadn't come to this forum yet).  However, you are welcome to browse through my photos of the project if you like.  Here is a link to the album containing the pictures at photobucket (and don't miss all the sub-folders in there also).

I had forgotten about Frankenstone! 

Rustycat

« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2018, 06:21:03 AM »

I must say I like your whole project, especially the idler wheel set up.  My only question is whether or not all that stainless makes a lot of noise when the 5 hp driven Frankenstone is up and running?  Franktastic build!
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.079 seconds with 56 queries.