Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Looking for recommendations  (Read 1894 times)

HobbyRocks

Looking for recommendations
« on: December 29, 2023, 08:15:01 AM »

Hi All,

I finally have my funds saved up to buy a cab machine and am struggling to figure out which one to get. I believe I'll be happier with 8" wheels so I'm currently looking at the Cabking 8 and HP's CB8 but I'm open to suggestions on other brands.  Can I ask what the collective wisdom is for what's out there? Pros, Cons, Gotcha's, Upgrades/accessories...  I tried a search but am getting lost in the noise so figured I'd fall on my sword and make this my first post to try and save time and tired eyes.

Thanks!
Craig

lithicbeads

• Administrator
Re: Looking for recommendations
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2023, 02:10:23 PM »

I have used cabbing machines for over 40 years  and have found it is often better to stick to the tried and true which would mean cab king. I have used it and I disliked the after supply system  and the slightly cramped feeling.Mt hands are gigantic so normal hands would have no problem. I used the machine in another persons shop  and their city water supply was not great and had some sand in it and the tiny diameter of the water supply was a pain to trouble shoot. HP machines are ok but usually are a bit sub par.Quality varies at a given company over time. Lortone was ok for decades then they hired machinists off the street and the machines as delivered were a disaster. Diamond Pacific  also has had their problems. Some of it is fit and finish things like not chasing aluminum casting before powder coating them but some have extended to unusable hard  wheels. Never had  a problem with their  nova wheels however and I have worn out about a hundred. Excellent long lasting sanding wheels help. My best cabber was top of the line 50 years ago and with a little tender loving care I have been able to enjoy it for  heavy stock removal all those years. I have a bunch of DP titans and I would say they are the most trouble free and productive machines for sanding and  standard hard wheel grinding but maybe not so great for 10 lb sintered wheels.

55fossil

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2023, 10:37:36 AM »

My vote is the Cabking 8. I would have gotten a Titan if it had clean water supply. I changed from a Diamond Genie 6 inch to a CabKing 8 inch and have cut about 120 cabochons on it up to 3 1/2 inches tall. I loved the genie but it had several problems. My hands are old and there is not enough room for me to cab on 6 inch wheels due to limited space between wheels. Water!!!  The spitters on the Genie work just fine until the water muddies up. Cannot get enough light on the stones.

CabKing 8:  The 8 inch wheels are so much easier to work on. More space between wheels so it is much easier, especially on large cabochons. The water system is
      good but will not handle any pressure if you use something other than the pump they provide. So much nicer to have clean water all the time. The water pump
      using a bucket supply is just fine unless you cut for hours at a time. Overall the machine is great.. but

Bad / could be better:
1: The machine could be quieter but I wear headphones and listen to music so not a big deal.
2: The wheels seem a bit rougher than the Nova Wheels. I really love the Nova Wheels. This may change after I make another 100 cabs????  They do seem to be
     wearing very well and look like they will last a long time.
3: Water adjusters will not take much pressure. I hooked up to my pressurized water with a pressure reducer. Several of the hoses connected to the misters just
     blew off the connectors. I put clamps on the water lines at the misters and reduced the pressure and we are now getting along. I wish they had an upgrade
   that you could purchase stronger water system.
4:  The wheels do not all seem to line up directly under the misters. CabKing has a dual mister over each wheel so it does not present a major problem.
5:  Lighting is good if you have good eyes. I have tried so many ways to get good light where the cabochon is on the wheel when you are cabbing, arghh
      I have just found what works perfect for me and I will post it on another thread soon. It is 12 inch LED bar about 1/2 inch square. I have them placed directly
      on the clear flab in front of the grinding wheels. The light shines down directly where I need it without my hands blocking the view or the light!!!! The lights
      are held on by magnets so I can take them off when I need to clean the machine or what ever.

55fossil

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2023, 12:17:37 PM »

Light Bar for CabKing 8 inch.  A few pictures of my machine with 12 inch light bar. It is a cheapy from Amazon but works so well. I used double sided tape to hold two metal tabs onto the cab machines visor over the wheels. The light bar has magnets inside of it at both ends and sticks really well. They even included the metal tabs and tape in the package with the light!!!! 3 light modes but I just leave it on high or off. USB cord with 110 vac adapter included also. I included a photo of the goose neck light that comes with the machine. It is okay but I wanted better. Most people seem happy with the goose neck lamp.
    last picture is the box in case anyone wants to get one. I think it was under $20 on Amazon
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.048 seconds with 32 queries.