Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Some wood, some stone, lots of insanity  (Read 1704 times)

wampidy

• A ring on the hand is worth two on the bush
Some wood, some stone, lots of insanity
« on: January 14, 2017, 07:12:45 AM »

As some of you know, I was getting bored with rock work, so I have been branching out but I am and probably will always be involved in stone work to some degree.

I blame insanity for some of the really strange things I put together but almost everything I make is unique and completely out of sight from the box. I have recently seen that Frank @lithicbeads and @kent share some of these traits but they take the quality level up a notch or two from where I land on that scale.

The proof is in the pudding so here are some examples of my recent work on walking sticks and canes. Not counting the walking sticks I have given away I believe I am at 10 sticks and 14 canes, some of which I believe I posted before so bear with me if I repeat some.

Pretty mundane cane that is probably plum tree but not sure.

Wood from a letter rack I found dumpster diving. I glued the boards into a glue lam then cut boards off the edge.

My son has broken two phones by having them in his pants pocket. Inspiration for a cane with hip pockets.

I have had the pieces of wood from two outdoor glider rockers for a couple of years and could not figure out how to use them in some way. This cane is made from the arms of one of those chairs. Spent over an hour on the floor moving them around until they made something.

Walking stick from the back of the same rocker. I added eye bolts to some existing holes to fill them up and figured they could be used for attaching a dog leash or water bottle.

I made three canes and one walking stick from one high back dining room chair parts. I split the two back legs that were also the chair back because they were too heavy to use as one piece. Ended up putting two of those together to make the walking stick. The third cane is made from the chair back cross pieces and it ended up being the heaviest cane I have made to date. For big dude only.

Ended up with a coffee table leg that carved into a nice cobra for the top of a walking stick. Maybe someday I will cut the scales into it but for now I just have the head defined.

I bought some tree parts from a friend and one I picked out had branching from the root or base of the trunk. After looking it in the eye for six months I thought I could see a dragon in it and went to work. Countless hours later and some painting by my daughter it is almost finished. She is going to paint the mouth and teeth  tomorrow but I thought I would show it now since it is so close to being finished.

Stayed up all one night doing the scales not counting the spikes on top of the head.

Added a welo opal.

One of the chair seats I had reminded me of a wide guitar so my plan was to cut a narrow piece off both sides and make a guitar cane. I was worried about weight so I just used the seat for a pattern. I had scraps laying around to make most of it and I used one of the glue lam boards for the neck. A round about grand son (son of my son's best friend) is an incredible guitar and drum player and he supplied the strings and tighteners. I am going to go see him today and have him tune my cane. It will play some so I am going to try to get a video of him playing my cane. I have zero knowledge of guitars but my son plays base and had a band at one time. If it would not have been for him I would have put the strings on in reverse order.

The neck marks are from thin stone slabs that I core drilled.

These are just some stone slab displays that I put together recently trying to catch up on old projects.
Bull Canyon tube agate. I think. The wood is cottonwood bark.

Same stone on cedar.

Labradorite.

Limb cast.

All woods I made for a friend.

I have just started making pot pipes from stone, brass and wood so I will be showing some of them soon.

I will try to get back more often to check out what everyone else has been doing. Got real bored with the computer too.
Jim
I threw a stone into the air.
It came to earth "ouch"
I now know where.
You can quote me on this, I have the scar.

Orrum

Re: Some wood, some stone, lots of insanity
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2017, 08:59:57 AM »

Hey Jim good to see you posting my friend!  I collect canes, I use them too!!!   LOL. 

Great work and ingenious art work it is dear sir!!!

ToTheSummit

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2017, 09:09:04 AM »

You've been busy.  I love it!  Some unique and fabulous pieces there.  Keep sharing when you can, its great to see what people are up to.

lithicbeads

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2017, 10:03:01 AM »

Love it Jim ! I was on crutches so many years that I got tired of scaring little kids. They do not understand disabilities but they get very upset  by someone not working properly. My solution was to take a finger puppet mouse and attach it to the crutch to make it look like it was along for the ride. Kids under 3 often thought it alive and kids under six would all look multiple times before they laughed. It got a bit expensive because kids who got a belly laugh out of it would get the mouse.Probably ten thousand adults saw the mouse in all my visits to Yellowstone yet only two were secure enough to come up to me and laugh and thank me. You see a disabled person just say hello. People in wheelchairs , on crutches and living on walkers are just people and often  very accomplished motivated people who have had life catch up to them. Show a little respect and give them a nod.Really glad to see you back old man.

hummingbirdstones

• Opalholic and General Rock Nut
  • Administrator
    • Hummingbird Stones Lapidary Services
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2017, 04:49:45 PM »

Welcome back, Jim!  Your sense of humor has been missed as well as your creativity!  Those canes are whimsical and beautiful at the same time and that guitar?  Pure genius!

Post a picture of the dragon when the painting is finished.  That one's a beaut!   :occasion14:
Robin
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.098 seconds with 36 queries.