Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Help with vibralap  (Read 1445 times)

duncan

Help with vibralap
« on: October 23, 2017, 03:52:15 PM »

Hi.  I have just started using an old vibralap for the first time on a fairly large jade slab.  Things seems to have gone well through all the grits.  I am now at polish stage.  The "carpet" I have has a rough pebbled side and a smoother side.  The smoother side seems to have polish on it from the previous user.  I have 2 questions:  1) should the rough side be down on the pan and the smoother side be what the stone sits on?  2) Although the pan and grits had a nice vibrating movement of the rock, the stone doesn't seem to move much when using the carpet.  Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Enchantra

• Head Bead Nut
  • Administrator
  • Insane Bead Woman
    • Enchanted Regalia
Re: Help with vibralap
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2017, 06:25:03 PM »

Welcome to the forum!
I am moving this posting to the proper section where folks can chime in on helping you with your lap.   :icon_sunny:

kent

• Fine Woodwork and Lapidary
Re: Help with vibralap
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2017, 04:47:10 PM »

The ruff "pebbled" side may be the glue side of the pad. Perhaps just old hard glue. The soft side is what you want. If yours is overly hard from old polish try washing it with a hose and scrub brush. If you can't get the old stuff to soften to get rid of it you may need to consider a new "rug".  My "carpet" is glued to the lap so it doesn't move during the polishing stage. You'll need enough water with your polish to provide enough lubricity to allow the slab to move freely on the rug.

Hope that helps,

Cheers,

Kent   
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.089 seconds with 31 queries.