Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Type of motor to replace on a vibrating lap?  (Read 14255 times)

Rei

Re: Type of motor to replace on a vibrating lap?
« Reply #30 on: April 24, 2017, 02:37:20 PM »

Lets try this.  Google Lortone FL15.  See if that is yours.  If it is you can get the drawings from a pdf.  They don't list the motor size, but Lortone is still in business and yoou can contact them for more info.  Do you still have the offset weight?
Steve

Nope - as mentioned, I've become pretty convinced it's a 15" beacon star.  Everything matches:

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/IuyZNgBsozg/hqdefault.jpg

(except for of course the feet, but those are just blocks of wood that were added on in place of the feet for some unknown reason)

I do have the weight - I had to cut it off the shaft, but I figured I'd just weld it back on whatever motor I get if it doesn't have a weight of its own.  Would a lortone motor work in a beacon star?

Rei,

Just wanted to let you know that I tried calling Tim on Friday and got his voicemail, so I left him a message to call me.  I'm sure he'll call me Monday, but if not then I'll call him again.   :icon_sunny:

Thank you!!!  :)

hummingbirdstones

• Opalholic and General Rock Nut
  • Administrator
    • Hummingbird Stones Lapidary Services
« Reply #31 on: April 24, 2017, 04:42:22 PM »

Rei,

It's going to be a couple of days before I can talk to Tim.  He's out of town.  I'll keep trying.   :icon_sunny:
Robin

hummingbirdstones

• Administrator
« Reply #32 on: April 24, 2017, 05:07:03 PM »

Ok, Tim called me back.

Here's the deal:  He said the Beacon Star is one of the companies that there's hardly no information on.  BUT, he said if you had a company to take/send the old motor to, they would be able to tell you what you need to replace it.  There's just no way for him to say without actually seeing the motor.

Is there a company nearer to you that supplies motors that you can send it to?  Tim suggested Grainger might be a good place for you to start.  They are international and might be more cost effective for you to deal with.  https://www.grainger.com/content/worldwide

He said you could always call him or send the motor to him to look at and he could give you a quote, but I think if I were you, I'd contact Grainger first.

Hope this helps somehow.
Robin

Grayco

« Reply #33 on: April 25, 2017, 07:33:42 AM »

In selecting a motor be certain the motor has good quality ball bearings in the drive end.  If you use a motor with bronze bushings, it will not survive long.
If women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

-Red Green-

Rei

« Reply #34 on: April 26, 2017, 06:13:56 PM »

Ok, Tim called me back.

Here's the deal:  He said the Beacon Star is one of the companies that there's hardly no information on.  BUT, he said if you had a company to take/send the old motor to, they would be able to tell you what you need to replace it.  There's just no way for him to say without actually seeing the motor.

Is there a company nearer to you that supplies motors that you can send it to?

I live on a large rock in the middle of the North Atlantic.  ;)  So no.

You can pick up random motors at random stores. Apart from that, it's special orders from overseas, and you better know what you need.

Tim suggested Grainger might be a good place for you to start.  They are international and might be more cost effective for you to deal with.  https://www.grainger.com/content/worldwide

He said you could always call him or send the motor to him to look at and he could give you a quote, but I think if I were you, I'd contact Grainger first.

Do you know what it costs to send a big chunk of steel and copper overseas just to get it inspected?  :(  My mother spent something like $500 to ship this lap to me.  (I'm sure you can see why I was... let's just say more than a little disappointed when I saw that it wasn't at all like advertised  :Þ  )

I can certainly call Grainger, but I'll need to know what to tell them.

(thank you very much for calling Tim though!)

hummingbirdstones

• Administrator
« Reply #35 on: April 26, 2017, 06:34:12 PM »

Wow.  And there are no shops on that rock that fix small motors or anything like that that could open it up and tell you what you need to replace it?

Dang, that sucks.   :sad5:

Wish I could have helped more.
Robin

lapidaryrough

• www.lapidaryrough.com
« Reply #36 on: April 26, 2017, 07:12:17 PM »

https://www.grainger.com/category/motors/ecatalog/N-bii/?cm_mmc=PPC:+MSN+PPC&s_kwcid=AL!2966!10!8956457157!62050107308&ef_id=WJEjQwAAAdLN23a-:20170427020155:s

All lapidary toys are made from standard  parts. keeps the cost down.

Your motor cost in last tread is what i pay for a farm duty 1 Hp.

Grainger should have a motor to fit your application needed.

shop in the right store for the best savings.

Signed trades maintenance for life.

Silicate life form

Steve Ramsdell

« Reply #37 on: April 26, 2017, 07:34:26 PM »

Here is something to try before you pay for shipping the motor to grainger.
https://www.grainger.com/category/motors/ecatalog/N-bii?gclid=CMOwwvbKw9MCFYa4wAodPzAB_A&cm_mmc=PPC:+Google+PPC&s_kwcid=AL!2966!3!190596790792!e!!g!!grainger%20supply&ef_id=WPEYrwAABYvLLN47:20170427022622:s  (Just copy and paste into your browser)
That is the site on grainger's page that has motormatch selection guide.  You might be able to find something here.  Most Beacon star motors that I remember were not fancy.  I did look up replacements for the motor you listed for lortone A O Smith 1/6 hp  (just type into your search bar) and you will get other choices.  If you can find a model by matching on grainger you can also do a search for replacement.

Grayco

« Reply #38 on: April 26, 2017, 09:36:27 PM »

OK, You can't find a motor locally and they are really expensive to ship to you..
How bad is the original motor?  Are the windings still OK?  If the windings are OK you can probably resurrect it. New bearings, staking shafts and journals and of course epoxy like JB weld where they are made up of 90% metal. No telling how long these fixes will last.  Vibrators are really rough on bearings, shafts and journals.

If women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

-Red Green-

Rei

« Reply #39 on: April 30, 2017, 04:01:43 PM »

OK, You can't find a motor locally and they are really expensive to ship to you..
How bad is the original motor?  Are the windings still OK?  If the windings are OK you can probably resurrect it. New bearings, staking shafts and journals and of course epoxy like JB weld where they are made up of 90% metal. No telling how long these fixes will last.  Vibrators are really rough on bearings, shafts and journals.

It doesn't seem to be possible to open up by normal means; I'd have to cut the casing off.  At least the rust has already started that process  ;)  I had at one point had a theory that perhaps the motor had gotten clogged up by clay, but the shaft spins freely, so I don't think that's the problem; my best bet is some sort of short. I can't assess the winding state with the casing on, apart from to say that clearly at least something is making it throw breakers when I plug it in (and it doesn't spin either).  I can see a bit of the windings (I think its windings) through the ventilation holes - enough to see that they look rather iffy (tarnished / dirty, maybe even "bent"), but not well enough to be able to tell if they're burned out.

Your motor cost in last tread is what i pay for a farm duty 1 Hp.

Does that mean it's expensive or it's cheap?

Both of the grainger links posted in this thread go to the same page for me - the motor selector page, of which I don't know what I'm supposed to punch in, as my motor has no writing on it (probably did at some point in the distant past).

Most Beacon star motors that I remember were not fancy. I did look up replacements for the motor you listed for lortone A O Smith 1/6 hp  (just type into your search bar) and you will get other choices.

I don't know what you mean. Typing in "BeaconStar" in the search bar yields no results. Typing "Beacon Star" in the search bar yields things that aren't motors. Typing "lortone A O Smith 1/6 hp" yields "Motor, 3 HP, 460V, 5/8 In. Double Shaft" for $1,275.00 and "Motor 1/2HP 200-230/460V 60Hz 3Ph 1Spd" for $543.50. Punching in the model cited by Diamond Pacific as a possible replacement (690-42-5000) yielded nothing. Tried looking up the model on Diamond Pacific's catalogue... but it says nothing about the motor apart from that it's for their Double Deck lap and that it's described as "110V Motor, Cord, Switch".  :Þ  Let's see... cross-referencing the Double Deck lap with their website I see that it has a 1/8 hp motor. Although that's certainly not enough information to fill out the Grainger motor-finder page.

Jhon P

« Reply #40 on: April 30, 2017, 05:08:10 PM »

If it wasn't for the shipping I could fix you up with a vibration lap. I think it is 15" has two or three pans.  I sold it to a friend and now he doesn't use it. I could go
Take a picture of the motor. I could dissemble it and just ship the motor? I don't remember what brand it is. $150.00 for a used motor?

Rei

« Reply #41 on: May 05, 2017, 04:19:20 PM »

If it wasn't for the shipping I could fix you up with a vibration lap. I think it is 15" has two or three pans.  I sold it to a friend and now he doesn't use it. I could go
Take a picture of the motor. I could dissemble it and just ship the motor? I don't remember what brand it is. $150.00 for a used motor?

Hey, if it works...  it's been frustrating being out of commission for months  :(  At least my project isn't in a rush (I'm polishing the specimens I've found on my land in order to make them into a mosaic countertop)

The shipping cost, BTW, if I use a reshipper (which includes the import fees) is relative to the purchase price, not the weight. So it might just be better to send the whole lap...

Jhon P

« Reply #42 on: May 05, 2017, 06:04:20 PM »

I will go by and talk a picture of it and see what you think. I will pm you.  You will have to instruct me on how to shop it.

Rei

« Reply #43 on: May 08, 2017, 06:56:35 PM »

Hi Jhon - I tried both emailing and PM'ing you, but didn't hear back from you.

Rei

« Reply #44 on: June 10, 2017, 04:22:05 AM »

So, it looks like that option didn't pan out  :Þ
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Page created in 0.119 seconds with 56 queries.