Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Still researching and need help: Cabking 6v3 vs. Kingsley North 1-0764  (Read 3168 times)

Cabbin Fever

• [My first cab!]

At just about the point I was ready to get a DP Pixie, a club-mate told me about the Kingsley North 6" Diamond Polishing/Grinding Stainless Steel unit (#1-0764). https://www.kingsleynorth.com/skshop/product.php?id=103548&catID=1059
After some concerns about Kingsley North, I starting looking at the Cabking 6v3. https://cabking.com/lapidary-supplies/cabking-6/
There is a $100 difference between the two, but so many different aspects, pros and cons! I have read a few old online posts reviewing, and one comparing these two but would greatly appreciate any input through this forum.
I have read so far:
Cabking wheels are made in China and do not last, especially stacked up against the KN's DP Nova wheels - yet I like the idea that the Cabking has a flat lap on one side;
I read that the grinding wheels on the Cabking are quite aggressive;
it is stated that the water pump system on the Cabking, despite the amount of off-spray is superior to the KN system... and so on!!!! Too many variables!   :sad5:
I guess some determining factors are to state my intended use. I prefer agates, jasper and harder stones; I anticipate I would be (especially at first) using it daily but for no more than 2-3 hours at a crack. Purely hobby usage.
Any input will be greatly appreciated!!
My first cab is from a piece of jasper I found on the beach in Newport, OR my first Mother's Day, 1983. I made it into a bracelet for my daughter Christmas 2017.

hummingbirdstones

• Opalholic and General Rock Nut
  • Administrator
    • Hummingbird Stones Lapidary Services

The KN machine is 1/4-20 bored on each side.  It comes with one right hand polishing pad.  You can buy flat laps for these.
Robin

Sandsave

I was in the same spot. I had a pixie and wanted to upgrade. I think there both good. I went with the 8" cab king for two reasons.
1 The water feed sits in a 5 gallon bucket or can be hard connected, I'm sure you could the same on the KN
2 The trays have a drain to another bucket, your not always managing the tray water.

I don't think one is that much better than the other.

Im purely a hobbyist so I went with what was easier to manage . I have the high rez wheels now and they seem to hold up well, over two years running so far.
You do have to be careful when working soft material.

My two cents worth.

Cabbin Fever

• [My first cab!]

The KN machine is 1/4-20 bored on each side.  It comes with one right hand polishing pad.  You can buy flat laps for these.
Oh Robin, thanks, that is great news! That definitely helps in my decision making.
My first cab is from a piece of jasper I found on the beach in Newport, OR my first Mother's Day, 1983. I made it into a bracelet for my daughter Christmas 2017.

Cabbin Fever

• [My first cab!]

I was in the same spot. I had a pixie and wanted to upgrade. I think there both good. I went with the 8" cab king for two reasons.
1 The water feed sits in a 5 gallon bucket or can be hard connected, I'm sure you could the same on the KN
2 The trays have a drain to another bucket, your not always managing the tray water.

I don't think one is that much better than the other.

Im purely a hobbyist so I went with what was easier to manage . I have the high rez wheels now and they seem to hold up well, over two years running so far.
You do have to be careful when working soft material.

My two cents worth.
Sandsave, thank you for your .02! I think I am 99% decided on the Kingsley North.

flaminer56

hello cabin fever,  im new  here  and thought I would give my 2 cents on the kingsley north units. I just bought the 6' inch painted steel arbor  of theirs  and  bought the wheels from Johnson brothers .   the quality on  it is good,  I had a  motor  and   made up  my own water system. so I have just over  $600.00 in mine.  they were on sale at kings. for $299 .   I just got it together this week  after getting the  wheels  in. Johnson brothers  says their wheels are made in the usa .     the 6 wheels ran 318.00  .     I believe I read that  lortone makes the units  for kingsley.  as  far as the  painted steel versus s.s.  , im not worried  about it rusting  down in   my  lifetime . 

irockhound

• RockhoundingUSA

After giving my brother some lessons in cutting I gave him a 6" Kingsley North machine for Christmas.  I will have to ask him if he has had a chance to use it.  The specs looked fine and wheels, when they wear out can get replaced by better wheels if the wheel life is bad.  The 1/4 threaded side is std to mount either a flat disc or any of the std polishing pad materials.  As for wetting I love the bubblers and use these even on my Titan as a 2nd source on the wheel I am on.  I have only had one problem with Kingsley North wheels and I had bought a Diamond Back wheel and the arbor hole was tighter than 1" and it was hell getting on my machine so I had to actually hone the inside till it would slide on the shaft without using a mallet.  I went back to using DP wheels with the exception of buying an Inland sintered wheel.

Cabbin Fever

• [My first cab!]

Thank you all for your input! I pulled the trigger and yesterday - my Kingsley North 6" - with NOVA wheels (325/600/1200/3000) arrived and I am thrilled to bits with it!
A quick "review" - I was very impressed that it came fully assembled (I had been studying the instructions unnecessarily) except for the reservoir and bracket (which, despite my concerns about a mere 2 quarts is plenty of water for a 3 hour run). The NOVA wheels stated that break in is best done with a large agate to remove the excess resin. I am overwhelmed/impressed with the aggressiveness of the 80 and 325 since I have only used old, shared club equipment! I need to see how tilting the machine to get the water to drain out the valve (I am mostly sponging out the water now) and my husband is on his third go round, going on fourth attempt to get the spigot over the 325 to stop leaking (something I will be letting KN know about). It runs beautifully cuts and polishes wonderfully, is pretty quiet and not too messy for my set up.
I will try to remember to do a follow up review in a month or so to let you know if I am still over the moon for this machine!

(sorry about the sideways photo of my setup, not sure how to fix that; second photo is my first cab on the new machine)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.093 seconds with 41 queries.