Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: My new hobby of kayak fishing in this  (Read 1434 times)

sealdaddy

My new hobby of kayak fishing in this
« on: March 02, 2018, 07:02:42 PM »

My new hobby....kayak fishing in this.
An Ocean Kayak Trident Angler 13
(as soon as the 6" ice melts in the ocean bays here...lol)

lithicbeads

• Administrator
Re: My new hobby of kayak fishing in this
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2018, 07:46:38 PM »

Stay away from the blue fin tuna old man !

sealdaddy

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2018, 07:55:54 PM »

Stay away from the blue fin tuna old man !
Right...if I want to go to Greenland, I'll fly  :LOLOL:
But I'm really concerned with the seal lions.

I've heard from another kayak fisherman that they have jumped into kayaks looking for your bait.
And then there are the sharks...I will Not be using a stringer~!!

lithicbeads

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2018, 10:37:00 AM »

I was   a type of long distance swimmer years ago. I would cruise doing the side stroke and watch the birds and the fish jump. Off the island of St. John in the US Virgin islands I was far from shore and had a soda can with monofilament line with a silver spoon on the end. The water had about 115 ft visibility and I trolled . I had a mask snorkel and fins so I could keep my head under water as I swam along and watch the fishes reaction to the spoon. After a bit I thought my eyes were having problems because I could see lots of flashes beyond my range of vision but it turned out to be a school of very large barracuda that were doing ever smaller circles around me. When I could see their eye balls I decided to let go of my line and be very passive and drift away. It worked. At your place and mine hypothermia is probably the greatest  threat.The highest  salt water temp I have ever seen on my island was 52 f and it is almost always 48. You don't last long if you end up in the water. Be careful.

Jhon P

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2018, 01:15:45 PM »

I have talked to a guy in bodega bay California that kayak fishes and he can get to places that boats cannot and away from shore fisherman. He catch’s some very nice fish!

irockhound

• RockhoundingUSA
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2018, 03:56:23 PM »

When I used to scuba dive I found some seals to be quite aggressive at times.  I had one seal in about 30 feet of water do a looping roll over my head and swing down to hit me right in the stomach knocking all the air out and knocking my mask and regulator loose.  I regained my gear but stayed clear of the seal packs after that.  With Sharks if you stay near the kelp bands that will help with them.

sealdaddy

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2018, 04:29:21 PM »

I have talked to a guy in bodega bay California that kayak fishes and he can get to places that boats cannot and away from shore fisherman. He catch’s some very nice fish!

Exactly~!!

southerly

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2018, 02:23:31 AM »

Enjoy the yak fishing, I just sold my Hobie, used it for offshore fishing, great fun. Have nowhere to store it at the moment so it had to go :(

sealdaddy

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2018, 05:56:13 PM »

That's what I plan to do too.
What were you going for? Salmon? Halibut?
You have a lot of rock fish we don't have out here in NE Canada.
Was it a Mirage drive?

It's months from weather to kayak fish in.  There still is LOTS of snow and ice around now, and I didn't have a place to store it either, but the price was so good I couldn't pass it up (it's covered with 2 feet of snow in my wife's parents backyard now).  But we're moving to a house with a big garage to store it.

And when the weather isn't good for kayak fishing...this new place has a creek with fish in it in the backyard~!!  :blob1:
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.119 seconds with 40 queries.