Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: pocket rocks  (Read 2110 times)

kent

• Fine Woodwork and Lapidary
pocket rocks
« on: August 30, 2018, 02:00:18 PM »

My wife has a girlfriend that has been having difficulty getting pregnant so she does a search for "fertility stones" and comes up with "Aventurine".

I recalled having a piece that resembles it so I made two pocket rocks for the eager couple. I don't recall anyone on this forum mentioning pocket rocks...I always have two small polished rocks in my pocket. maybe its a comfort thing...I dunno...

Anyone else have a pocket rock ??

IMG_8155 (600 x 450).jpg
*IMG_8155 (600 x 450).jpg (49.13 kB . 600x450 - viewed 467 times)IMG_8157 (600 x 450).jpg
*IMG_8157 (600 x 450).jpg (54.59 kB . 600x450 - viewed 419 times)

ToTheSummit

Re: pocket rocks
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2018, 03:33:18 PM »

I always carry two stones in my pocket.

One is a lapidary piece that I have personally created and I carry it so I can show people what I do when the topic of my hobby comes up.  This stone changes on a regular basis, and people who know me will often ask "Let me see your rock" to see what I am currently carrying.

The other stone I carry is something I have carried for decades, long before I got into lapidary.  I carry a piece of soapstone.  I often times pull it out and start drawing diagrams for people on the ground or a nearby surface when I am trying to explain something to them.  I picked up this habit back in the early 90s from a lifelong friend who is a metal fabricator.

peruano

• Retired Zoologist
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2018, 03:54:14 PM »

My first fascination with shaping and polishing came from picking up large number what I think are opercula of large conchas from beaches near Guaymas, Sonora, Mexico.  They are concave on one side, extremely smooth and fun to fondle, rub, or flip somewhat analogous to a "spinner".   Once I started cutting and polishing stones (beach cobble or otherwise) I made a few money clips (folding money carrier) so I too have an example to show the products of the art.  And I too change that clip out to a different stone depending on my mood, activity, or bankroll thickness. 
Combining a love of bikes (pedal and otherwise) with hiking, hounding, lapidary, and the great outdoors

irockhound

• RockhoundingUSA
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2018, 05:23:21 PM »

Normally I have to cabs in my pockets but always a minimum of one, eager to take out and show someone who is wondering, What's a rockhound?  They normally rotate with my newer cuts.

jerrysg

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2018, 06:00:07 PM »

I carry 3 in a small drawstring pouch. One is my "worry stone"; a piece of Montana Wonderstone [rhyolite] that I picked up during the Butte clubs Rockhound Roundup at the Anderson Ranch some years ago. It's polished smooth and an odd shape that will fit comfortably in either hand. The other two are just favorite rocks: a small pebble of Rutilated Quartz and piece of Tiger Eye. People love the chatoyance.

Jerry
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.067 seconds with 35 queries.