Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Outrageous Cab Contest June 2018  (Read 3390 times)

hummingbirdstones

• Opalholic and General Rock Nut
  • Administrator
    • Hummingbird Stones Lapidary Services
Outrageous Cab Contest June 2018
« on: June 01, 2018, 06:00:58 PM »

Rules:
1) Cab must be made by you.
2) Cab must be made within the time period of this contest.  Contest begins on the first of the month and ends on 11:59 p.m. on the last day of the month.  NO pulling old cabs from your storage baskets!
3) As long as the basic shape is considered a cab it's golden.  You can enter intarsias and carved top cabs such as cameos etc.  After all, this is the OUTRAGEOUS cab contest!  We love free form cabs!  Pull out the stops and give us the best you have!
4) One entry per person please!
5) Please show photos of your slabs and preforms if you can so we can see your thought process and how you did things.
6) No finished jewelry pieces.  Just the cab.
7) Cab sets are OK.
8) This is only for bragging rights and your cabochon photo posted up top in the forums unless someone posts a lapidary related prize and wants to ship it to the winner of the contest.

Let the games begin!!!   :toothy10:
Robin

Jhon P

Re: Outrageous Cab Contest June 2018
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2018, 06:09:13 PM »

I guess I will get things started. Went out to the Dead Camel mountian Saturday. We were picking up float that has washed down from the top, thousands of years of flash floods. I found one small rock of this color and pattern. I may be able to cut 12 cabs out of it.

Jhon P

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2018, 06:10:11 PM »

Rest of the pictures

Orrum

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2018, 04:45:08 AM »

That's a wowser!!!

womanwithatorch

• womanwithatorch.com
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2018, 10:01:55 AM »

Its a beauty! Porcelain Jasper?
"I am always doing that which I cannot do, in order that I might learn how to do it." Pablo Picasso

Sandsave

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2018, 07:29:53 PM »

Wow Jhon nice one! I'm trying to get time to get to the cab machine before the months out.

Jhon P

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2018, 09:31:23 PM »

I only found some small pieces that are real good but I did find a piece of tan colored jasper that I can get a  4 1/2” cube out of but we located an 800lb piece of Lahontanite jasper. We broke it down and loaded it into the truck. One piece is about 200 lbs and to big to go into the saw. It wouldn’t break with the sledge so I am trying to figure out how to split it.

Sandsave

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2018, 05:56:51 AM »

I picked up a large piece of yellow feather one time that took three of us to lift, I took a 1/2" hammer drill bit to it and made a straight line on the only fracture line I could see, drilled about 7-8 holes about 4" apart, then used my chisel bit and split it.

irockhound

• RockhoundingUSA
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2018, 02:44:11 PM »

Well I blew it on my first cab that was going to be my cab of the month entry.  I'll include it here along with my entry.  I had a piece of real ratty looking Rutilated I bought when prices jumped years ago and I bought any odd shaped rough that had lot of potential.  It had so my rutile and pockets on the edges of a slab that the only saving grace was a v shaped piece in the middle but I would need to leave a natural top and bottom to make it the way I wanted.  Unfortunately I was SURE I had taken pics of the rough slab before starting and not sure what happened to them.  So I will show the final but won't put it in the competition since I don't have the before shot.  I did 4 cabs this month using natural edges in the designs and I'll post these in the cabs forum.

My entry which I will fall back on that I could find the before pic on is a piece of Moss Agate I picked up in the Rio Grande Valley near Needle Peak a couple years ago and finally slabbed one of the pieces this year.  This was the rind and I hate to have anything go to waste so I established the areas of the rind that would support the bevel thickness and then hoped that the center wouldn't have any spots that would need to be ground down too far.  You can see from the before shot it was a risky piece.  Turned out nice I think for the rind.

ileney

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2018, 08:39:48 PM »

Wow! I love that!

gemfeller

• Art Cut Gems
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2018, 03:24:03 PM »

This is a slab from a Woodward Ranch "biscuit" agate nodule that has very nice plumes.  Most of this type of plume needs to be backlighted to show the intricate details so I was perplexed as to how I'd turn it into a cab suitable for mounting.  The slab had to be cut thin to show any detail at all.  I searched for a natural stone backing that would provide some reflection but came up empty.  I finally decided to epoxy it (Hughes 330) to a thin mirror to create a doublet that would display the plumes.  (Warning: use a glass cutter, not a trim saw.  Trim sawing can cause dangerous sharp splinters to spall off).

Contest rules say it's open to any stone that looks like a cab, and in its finished state this doublet definitely looks like a cab, so here goes:

Unpolished slab:
002 (450x420).jpg
*002 (450x420).jpg (110.26 kB . 450x420 - viewed 370 times)

Slab cemented to mirror:
001 (316x450).jpg
*001 (316x450).jpg (117.31 kB . 316x450 - viewed 380 times)

Preform:
003 (431x450) (2).jpg
*003 (431x450) (2).jpg (121.97 kB . 431x450 - viewed 405 times)

Finished cab:
002 (433x450).jpg
*002 (433x450).jpg (161.27 kB . 433x450 - viewed 514 times)

I tried to get a side-view image but so far I've been unable to get the camera to focus on what I want to show.  I'll keep trying in case anyone's interested.

ileney

« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2018, 05:36:02 AM »

That’s very creative!

Sandsave

« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2018, 06:40:26 PM »

I made it. I dropped this one and giued it back together with red epoxy lol
 I finished both sides they have two totally different patterns.

Phishisgroovin

• Administrator
  • I am here by addiction
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2018, 08:10:52 AM »

i love love love that breciated jasper!

Jhon P

« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2018, 07:07:17 PM »

Now that is outrageous.  Chipboard rhyolite?
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.122 seconds with 56 queries.