Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Newbie to lapidary saws  (Read 405 times)

melvinrose

Newbie to lapidary saws
« on: March 09, 2023, 01:00:54 PM »

Hi all! My name is Melvin Rose. I am a flint knapper, I make arrowheads. I have been using a 10” tile saw to cut my slabs with for the last few years. I finally saved up enough to get me a lapidary saw. I bought a used Highland Park 18”, 2021 year model. It’s in great condition and the previous owner said it has 45 hours on it. I don’t know what they were sawing with it and I didn’t think to ask. Anyway I inherited 2 gallons of sludge with the saw so it’s been used enough to create that. It came with H/P mineral oil which I cleaned and am still using. I have a lot to learn, I’ll be asking lots of questions I’m sure. I’ll be cutting mostly obsidians and Texas churts. Glad to be here.

vitzitziltecpatl

Re: Newbie to lapidary saws
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2023, 04:14:47 PM »

Welcome aboard!

An 18" is a nice size saw. Hope to see photos of your work.

lithicbeads

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2023, 05:17:51 PM »

Welcome and have fun.

AgateLicker

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2023, 09:29:26 PM »

Welcome, Melvin! Looking forward to seeing those TX rocks. I just moved to the Hill Country and am loving the Uvalde gravels and Edwards Plateau stuff.

Side question- is EP chert the same as Georgetown Flint?

melvinrose

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2023, 05:45:35 AM »

good question. The bad news is I don’t know. The good news is I’ll find out. I have several hundred pounds of Georgetown and it’s wonderful stuff. I live in San Angelo so I have access to all kinds of Edwards chert but most of it is nasty stuff. Sometimes I stumble onto a hunk that’s not all cracked up.

melvinrose

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2023, 07:04:10 AM »

Here’s what I found out, “ Georgetown flint is a fairly localized material from the Edwards Limestone formation that occurs in primary context in the only in Williamson County and probably in southern Bell County.” This is from www.texasbeyondhistory.net

lithicbeads

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2023, 12:41:08 PM »

Ever seen the flint nodules from the chalk cliffs in England. There is so much of it that they used to cover houses with  m
ortared flint.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.094 seconds with 35 queries.