Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: cutting oil  (Read 6527 times)

montanajohn

cutting oil
« on: July 05, 2017, 08:41:44 PM »

I have formed some opinions down through the cutting years, mostly based on costs, and would like to hear from knowledgeable people about saw oil.  My local power company gave me 70 gallons of transformer oil a few years ago, which I understand, is good.  The next time I asked them, they had over 100 gallons of hydraulic oil, as they change oil on their drilling machines annually, and it too, was free.  Hydraulic oil is maybe a bit lighter than cutting oil, but I recall a rock shop in Nampa Id using diesel fuel in all their saws, and getting by with it for years, no flash fires, explosions, or sudden deaths.  Has anyone compared blade wear and cost with (free) oil of whatever constituency to (expensive) rock cutting oil?
Thanks

irockhound

• RockhoundingUSA
Re: cutting oil
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2017, 10:58:58 PM »

There have been a lot of posts on oil and I have seen a good number of them say that the transformer oils contain a lot of pcb's.  I know that the earlier oils were worse and I used Shell Diala AX for a while and although it worked well as a cutting oil it did have it's mist issues and the main thing it inhaling oils mists and of course depending on the oil it's skin absorption.  Since I always wear gloves when using the saws that is minimized.  I have switched to straight Mineral oil and am pleased with it.  I use the Equine Laxative Mineral oil.  I buy it for $12 per gallon with free shipping.  I do not miss the smell of my slabs even a year after leaving it in the kitty litter (clean) to soak up the oil and then washing the slab it it will forever smell of the oil now they have a pleasant smell of baby oils and when washed they just don't smell. 

Slabbercabber

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2017, 05:42:16 AM »

PCBs were eliminated from transformer oil many years ago, but unless you know for sure that the oil is of recent manufacture, I would stay away from it.  Newer transformer oil is unlikely to have additives as it's only purpose is to circulate and cool the coils.  Hydraulic oils have additives that may or may not be hazardous.  At least look up the MSDS for the one you are using.

lapidaryrough

• www.lapidaryrough.com
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2017, 10:54:17 AM »

chevron shingle oil, Has a flash point of 351 degrees F.  only coolant i use in my large saws.

I use to mix no.2 stove oil with clean trans oil. an a pint of pine-sol. in 15 gallons or more.

j
Silicate life form

Rockoteer

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2017, 09:15:30 PM »

There have been a lot of posts on oil and I have seen a good number of them say that the transformer oils contain a lot of pcb's.  I know that the earlier oils were worse and I used Shell Diala AX for a while and although it worked well as a cutting oil it did have it's mist issues and the main thing it inhaling oils mists and of course depending on the oil it's skin absorption.  Since I always wear gloves when using the saws that is minimized.  I have switched to straight Mineral oil and am pleased with it.  I use the Equine Laxative Mineral oil.  I buy it for $12 per gallon with free shipping.  I do not miss the smell of my slabs even a year after leaving it in the kitty litter (clean) to soak up the oil and then washing the slab it it will forever smell of the oil now they have a pleasant smell of baby oils and when washed they just don't smell. 
I to have switched to the Equine Laxative Mineral oil.  All the other stuff is just not good for you to smell or wear or have around for months in your saws.  Since my saws are all in my daylight basement I just decided to go this route.
Gary

montanajohn

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2017, 07:01:20 AM »

Thank you gentlemen.  I have been fixated on costs and have ignored the health aspects.  Power company boys say the pcbs were eliminated many years ago, but they do not often have opportunities to dismantle transformers.  It would be interesting to find solid information on hydraulic oil as its so readily available.  Anywhere power equipment (farm tractors) is moving, this oil is available, and free.

lapidaryrough

• www.lapidaryrough.com
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2017, 07:14:21 AM »

friend used   20 SAE. hydraulic food grade oil in saws.  Cost through the wallet.

its all about flash point and ware on blade.  On the rock BBQ.
Silicate life form

rockherder

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2017, 09:01:34 AM »

I'm also using the Equine Mineral Oil with very good results.
I have purchased it from the local Tractor Supply Store but is a bit pricey($20).
-Doug in El Dorado Hills, CA

Barclay

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2017, 09:48:25 AM »

Stay away from oils that were not made for human contact.

kent

• Fine Woodwork and Lapidary
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2017, 11:15:22 AM »

Been said before, free shipping ..

https://www.scahealth.com/scah/product/mineral-oil-light

Great stuff, low mist, doesn't smell and relieves obstructions...heh....heh

Rockoteer

« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2017, 04:52:53 PM »

Been said before, free shipping ..

https://www.scahealth.com/scah/product/mineral-oil-light

Great stuff, low mist, doesn't smell and relieves obstructions...heh....heh

This is where I get mine.  Free shipping on 4 gals.
Gary

irockhound

• RockhoundingUSA
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2017, 05:43:18 PM »

Yeah I bought 24 gallons last purchase from SCAhealth and the oil works great and the shipping was free as mentioned.  I had tried local feed stores and the best price I could get was 18 per gallon.  At 12 per gallon at SCA they are a good deal.

montanajohn

« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2017, 06:58:28 PM »

If I have to pay 20 (or 12) $/gallon my saws will have to sit.  We all have to make the choice as best suits what we have.

Rockoteer

« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2017, 09:25:19 PM »

If I have to pay 20 (or 12) $/gallon my saws will have to sit.  We all have to make the choice as best suits what we have.
I know two gentlemen that have cut with diesel for years and years and years.  One died at 90 something and the other one is still living, still cutting rocks, still having fun.  Surely $3 and some change should make it feasible for you.
Gary
When they cut a slab it goes into a pan full of cat litter (- the poop of course)

montanajohn

« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2017, 11:42:46 AM »

I do not see the oil as worse than diesel, but who knows?  I was in a place once where orange rain came down on us from airplanes and maybe somebody said it might be bad for us but there were a lot of other ways to die then.  The years since have proven the somebody right, most of my friends from then are long dead of agent orange and God knows how many Vietnamese families joined them.  But consider the next time you take your old rock hunting pickup to your mechanic, before he crawls under it, tell him to be sure and stay out of the oil
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.126 seconds with 56 queries.