Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Saw is acting funny and well not working  (Read 4227 times)

Bluetangclan

Saw is acting funny and well not working
« on: October 10, 2017, 07:12:23 PM »

I was trying to cut a jade slab today and my saw decided to run off and on and then not really work at all. Almost as if I was turning the speed up and down even though I had it at full blast. It didnt seem hot when I took the saw apart. Was thinking maybe I had water on the electronics part of it? Hoping the motor didnt burn up since I bought it used a few months back.

Stonemon

Re: Saw is acting funny and well not working
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2017, 07:20:49 PM »

Did the motor actually stop? If not, check the blade tightness. Sometimes if it is loose it will act like that.

Bill

Bluetangclan

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2017, 08:00:24 PM »

Oh yeah, its the motor not the blade. But the motor doesn't sound stressed, it just goes up and down in power. Made cutting my jade kinda a no go.

edgarscale

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2017, 08:29:33 PM »

if it was a car i'd say it needs oil.  don't think it applies here  :icon_scratch:

50% rockhound and 50% wire wrap
       ='s one great pendant

Slabbercabber

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2017, 05:21:19 AM »

The only thing that controls the speed of an induction motor is the number of coils vs ac frequency.  If the speed is varying then I would have to assume a bad coil connection or shorted coil.  Either way it is unlikely that it can be repaired.

Bluetangclan

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2017, 05:35:29 AM »

Grrr.That would annoy me to no end being so new to me. Going back to a tile saw, if a lapidary saw can break that easy then they aren't worth the money it costs to build them. Just have to get a small lower power one for opal and a more powerful one for everything else so I don't have to keep changing blades.

55fossil

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2017, 09:01:59 AM »

Another problem with motors can be the wiring connection for the AC. If any of the connections are loose or corroded you can get speed variance. This can also be dangerous and spark a fire.   Check your connections into the motor to make certain they are tight and clean. If you have a plug try and look for signs of wear or if the wires are screwed on tightly if that applies. Same goes if there is a capacitor on the motor, check all connections.  Extension cord connections can do the same if there is not good contact.
 good luck

Phishisgroovin

• Administrator
  • I am here by addiction
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2017, 09:05:27 AM »

sounds more like a feeding problem, rock is being pushed into the blade too fast. Mine does this and i have to loosen the belt just a touch so the feed belt (NOT the main drive belt) will slip on the pulley.
Once i do this my motor will run at full speed, i also touch the cutting face of my blade with a light duty tile hammer (flat smooth face hammer) hitting the cutting edge slightly to make a different cutting face on the blade.

Phishisgroovin

• Administrator
  • I am here by addiction
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2017, 09:06:51 AM »

i also have to plug in and unplug my saw to turn it on and off. my plug wears out yearly. i have to replace the cord every year. since i dont have a covered area to cut rocks i dont have it hard wired to a switch.

Bluetangclan

« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2017, 09:51:29 AM »

I tried running it without rock. That's when it started going up and down in power. I wonder if just the motor can be replaced. I do like the ease of use without the loud blaring sound and mess of a tile saw. When I get home today Ill try running it again and see if it was some kind of water damage. I have plenty of stuff that doesn't need a saw to work on in the mean time. Any good tile saw suggestions?

kenny

« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2017, 10:04:16 AM »

what brand of saw is it, what type of motor, how old? You said"  even though I had it at full blast" is it a variable speed? Used motors can be had pretty cheaply try Craigs list, local pawn shops, and yard sales. Motors wear out thats just a fact no matter if it's a tile saw or not.

Bluetangclan

« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2017, 10:23:57 AM »

https://www.facetshoppe.com/cart/02-220.html its one of these although I had thought it was a 6" blade.

Seeing a couple tile saws here in my price range http://www.dadsrockshop.com/trimsaw1.html

Jhon P

« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2017, 12:20:37 PM »

I have been an electrician for over 40 years. Check all of the connections from the outlet that you plug into (could be in the shop wiring) too the motor. Look for any hot spots. I would also check the voltage at the motor. Best to do it while running the motor. It could be a problem with the motor? It would be easier if I could look st it. Good luck

Slabbercabber

« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2017, 01:33:26 PM »

Good news.  That is a universal motor.  Speed is controlled by changing the voltage.  The problem is going to be found in the in the speed control or connection thereto.  It should be a simple fix.  Worst case would be a new variac.

lapidaryrough

• www.lapidaryrough.com
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2017, 02:10:57 PM »

And the gauge of wire used!

My ears haven't read it.

10 - 12 gauge depending on amp load ,  wall plugs today / duplex's connection wont carry the amp load.

most homes today have  14/gauge wire on 15 amp breakers.

I'm no electrician, just maintenance.   Comm. &  Industrial  are best to use. You wont fine them at home DEPOT or the other ones like  - ace hardware....   

Silicate life form
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.101 seconds with 54 queries.