Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Nasties today.  (Read 4679 times)

bobby1

Re: Nasties today.
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2018, 06:30:24 PM »

For the lapidary shop at the local junior college, we use FGH-32 oil. Our club furnishes all the equipment, supplies and maintenance costs for the college. The oil - Food Grade Hydraulic oil 32 weight  - is purchased at a local petroleum distributor for $14 a gallon. We pick it up at their location so there are no shipping costs.
Bob

vitzitziltecpatl

« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2018, 08:03:46 PM »

We also pick up our saw oil from a local petroleum products supplier. They recently switched from the Duoprime 90 we used to buy to Finevestan 85. Both food-grade mineral oils, and the Finevestan was about $16/gallon.

If I recall the viscosity charts correctly, the Finevestan isn't quite as "thick" as the equine laxative. That's worth the price difference to me. The Finevestan really flows well - even in cold weather - with a generic swamp cooler pump.

Someone on here once said the veterinary oil is quite a bit thinner than the Wal-Mart mineral oil, but I tend to stick with what I know. I hope someday I can see some of the scahealth oil in person just to make the comparison for myself.

peruano

• Retired Zoologist
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2018, 04:50:38 AM »

Walmart human laxative mineral oil is definitely thicker than equine laxative mineral oil.  I've rarely used baby oil but my impression was that it was closer to equine mineral oil but with an odorant additive.  My shop is unheated and gets to 40 in the winter until I fire up the wood stove, but the viscosity of the horse laxative is not a problem for my saws. I do not pump it but my impression is that it would still work with a swamp cooler style pump.
Combining a love of bikes (pedal and otherwise) with hiking, hounding, lapidary, and the great outdoors

vitzitziltecpatl

« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2018, 07:41:26 AM »

Thanks for that comparison from someone who has used both. Is the veterinary oil clear, or does it some color?

Stonemon

« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2018, 08:28:59 AM »

I have been using the Santa Cruz horse laxative oil for a couple of years now. Last week I cleaned up my 12" slab saw and I re-filled it with some rockhound oil I had filtered out of an old saw that had come through my shop.
I have been slabbing Wild Horse Owyhee Jasper.
The first thing I noticed was that the rockhound oil held a lot less cuttings than the mineral oil light. It stayed clear after several hours of slabbing.
The laxative oil always colors up fast. It would settle overnight but when I was cutting, the oil would cloud up and make it difficult to view the process through the window.
I also have the impression that the saw is not working quite as hard. Not sure of this.  :dontknow:
I have been getting good life out of my blades with the mineral oil light.
Just a couple of observations.

Bill

vitzitziltecpatl

« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2018, 05:43:32 PM »

Good to hear about the "rockhound oil". Any more specific name or info on it?

This is all good to know, since I mostly use Mr. Hoover's method of recyling oil. Always have buckets settling so I can just pump the oil off the top.

None of us look forward to cleaning out saws, and I'll let the drop saw build up a layer of clay in the pan. Scrape it out after getting the dirty oil off so I can put settled oil back in. Good to have more actual oil volume so it doesn't cloud up as fast.

Phishisgroovin

• Administrator
  • I am here by addiction
« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2018, 05:48:13 PM »

so far, my oil recycling is going slow.
Dropped a good inch & a half since mucking the saw out.
Should have just used single layer bags....

Stonemon

« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2018, 06:03:05 PM »

Good to hear about the "rockhound oil". Any more specific name or info on it?

This is all good to know, since I mostly use Mr. Hoover's method of recyling oil. Always have buckets settling so I can just pump the oil off the top.

None of us look forward to cleaning out saws, and I'll let the drop saw build up a layer of clay in the pan. Scrape it out after getting the dirty oil off so I can put settled oil back in. Good to have more actual oil volume so it doesn't cloud up as fast.

Here is a link... https://covington-engineering.com/supplies/koolerants/rockhound-oil/
I personally do not choose to pay for it. But I like it.  :azn:

Bill

Slabbercabber

« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2018, 05:19:48 AM »

If you research MSDS documents for mineral oi, laxative oil, and Rockhound oil, you will find that Rockhound oil is nothing more than light mineral oil.  Same for Walmart baby oil.  Horse laxative on the other hand can be anything from heavy mineral oil to oil with trocopherol and up to 50% filler.  It will be just as safe as light mineral oil but may not work as well in your saw depending on the source.  Likewise shingle oil which goes by many names can be almost anything including linseed oil.  Food safe hydraulic oil is another general class that can be nearly anything.  For our use in sensitive machinery we used synthetic oil for that.

Rockoteer

« Reply #24 on: March 24, 2018, 09:57:52 AM »

Phish:  Try going through https://www.scahealth.com/scah/product/mineral-oil-light?requestFrom=search
I buy horse laxative mineral oil light through them at $14/gallon, and shipping is free after $50.  So I get my 4 gallons shipped free for $65.

The site has a problem right now.  Something about Failure of Web Server Bridge ??

peruano

• Retired Zoologist
« Reply #25 on: March 24, 2018, 03:05:13 PM »

Horse laxative may indeed vary depending on whose making it and  . . . how much the person administering it loves the horse.  However, ever bottle I've ever bought (mostly at the local feed store or Tractor Supply) also described the product as light mineral oil. 
The first time I bought horse laxative, the vender was curious why I was buying several gallons when the normal dose for a horse was (if I recall correctly - a quart).  I sheepishly told him I had a very large horse but quickly admitted to having a rock saw that needed gallons (not quarts). 
Things must be slow when the process of cleaning a saw can prompt a thread lasting several days.  Cheers. 
Combining a love of bikes (pedal and otherwise) with hiking, hounding, lapidary, and the great outdoors

Phishisgroovin

• Administrator
  • I am here by addiction
« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2018, 09:59:25 AM »

Its a dirty topic, dirty topics usually go way farther and more in depth than clean topics lol
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.084 seconds with 50 queries.