Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Agate type chart  (Read 1796 times)

Kaljaia

Agate type chart
« on: September 23, 2018, 10:21:49 AM »

I thought it would be a fun project to see how many different types of agate I can find from a single location :P make up a little ID chart for the place. I'm still putting together the list. Here's what I have so far:

Dendritic

Banded

T-egg core

Flame agate

Agate geode

Moss agate

Waterline agate

Botryoidal agate

I have tube agate and one small piece of plume too, not photographed yet. Any others I'm missing? I'm hoping to make a easy-to-use key for the local kids and will be improving the photographs after I put the set together.
- Erika

I rock hunt in the Antelope/Ashwood area of the John Day river basin in Oregon.

55fossil

Re: Agate type chart
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2018, 11:49:42 AM »

Nice variety. Is banded a banded and or Fortification Agate?

Kaljaia

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2018, 10:14:22 AM »

Nice variety. Is banded a banded and or Fortification Agate?

I'm not firm on the difference between the two, honestly. Is it a difference in appearance or formation? I've been using the terms interchangeably but if they are two separate materials I'd love to learn more!
- Erika

I rock hunt in the Antelope/Ashwood area of the John Day river basin in Oregon.

ToTheSummit

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2018, 01:45:42 PM »

This is how I have always understood it.  Although fortification is almost always banded, banded is not always fortification.  Fortification refers to concentric bands around a central point (like walls around a fort, hence the name fortification).  Banded agates may have bands of differing shapes and sizes that wander to and fro but never create a fortification effect.  Your agate above I would classify as fortification agate, but banded would technically be a correct description for it as well.

rocks2dust

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2018, 03:28:43 PM »

In addition to the fortified (resembling the plan of a 17th or 18th century fort) and non-fortified (wavy type banding), I've incorporated those mentioned with some other types that come to mind:

BANDED
· fortified (bands enclose a large area, resembling the floor plan of a 17th or 18th century fort);
· plain banded (a pattern of wavy lines);
· lace (lots of enclosed bands);

PATTERN
· dendritic (tree or shrub-like branching formations);
· plume (ostrich feather-like formations);
· moss (thread-like formations);
· picture, landscape or scenic (combination of patterns that resemble landscape paintings);
· orbicular or eye (contain ball-like inclusions);
· poppy agates (I'd include the so-called "Ocean Jasper" and some translucent poppy-type jaspers as agates);
· cloud (very soft, fuzzy bands and swirls);
· flame (fire-like plumes);
· waterline or onyx (parallel horizontal banding);
· Fischer (an artificially induced dendrite-type formation);

OPTICAL PHENOMENA
· iris (very, very tight banding that breaks light into a rainbow spectrum when backlit)
· fire (botryoidal formations containing thin layers of iridescent goethite and/or limonite);
· parallax or "shadow" (banding in transparent agate that gives a 3D effect);
· turtleback (botryoidal formation with very fine/invisible banding that forms a turtleshell type pattern when backlit);

FORMATION
· geode (a roundish thunderegg, vesicular agate or similar with a hollow center);
· thunderegg (a rhyolite nodule in a volcanic flow in which a gas chamber later filled with agate, often under great pressure);
· botryoidal or grape (resembles a grape-like cluster of orbs);
· mammillary (resembles udders);
· enhydro (contains bubbles of ancient water);
· vein or seam banded (pattern follows the outline of the crack which held it);
· amygdular (roughly round agate or geode formed in gas bubbles within volcanic host rock);
· membrane (filled with broken bits of the initial banded layers);
· polyhedral (a type of agate replacement where the agate follows the form of a previously dissolved polygonal mineral crystal);
· polymorph (agate that has replaced another mineral);
· sagenic (agate containing sagenite-type needles);
· agate casts (limb, bone and similar casts of once-living organisms);
· oolitic (contains small orbs; orbs larger than 5mm are pisolites, rather than oolites);
· brecciated or shatter (fully formed agate that has shattered and then re-healed);

...probably more. And it probably should be mentioned that some agates are combinations of two or more of these features.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.117 seconds with 35 queries.