Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Thickness to cut slabs?  (Read 2794 times)

gunsil

Re: Thickness to cut slabs?
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2022, 11:49:31 AM »

Easy. Slab saws have threaded screws on the stone vise to adjust the thickness of the cut of the stone. When one cuts a slab one selects the depth of cut (or the thickness of the slab) by turning the screw adjuster on the slab saw vise. On some saws 4 turns of the screw gives 1/4 inch of slab thickness, some saws may take more turns for the same thickness slab since it depends on the threads per inch of the screw adjuster on the vise. So "turns" equals "thickness", the more turns the thicker the slab, the less turns the thinner the slab. By the way, I am one who prefers thicker cabs for my jewelry, I like a higher dome, so I cut many of my slabs to 6-8 mm. (6mm equals close to 1/4 inch).

lithicbeads

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2022, 03:50:27 PM »

In a slab saw the blade is in a fixed position and the rough is in a vise on a carriage that can move toward or away from the blade and the vise with the rough is also on a carriage that allows travel across the blade. The amount of turns is on the vise carriage and it determines the thickness of the resultant slab. The threads on the second carriage are largely standard so many saws advance across the blade the same amount with various saws.

vitzitziltecpatl

« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2022, 04:57:20 PM »

Hi Anita.

It will be easy. There is a "TPI" - threads per inch - number included in bolt sizes and such. A "1/4 - 20" bolt is 1/4" diameter, with 20 threads per inch. In that case, five threads (turns) would equal 1/4" of "travel". 20 threads divided by 4 (quarters of an inch) = 5 turns).

For a saw, you'll have to add an additional part of a turn to account for the width of your saw blade/cut.

Your saw might have a 3/4 - 16 crossfeed size/thread pitch. If so, 4 turns (1/4") plus another 1-1/2 turns or so (for blade thickness) will give you slabs close to 1/4" thick. I turn our drop saw crossfeed 5-3/4 turns.

AveIArts

« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2022, 07:09:08 PM »

Hi Anita.

It will be easy. There is a "TPI" - threads per inch - number included in bolt sizes and such. A "1/4 - 20" bolt is 1/4" diameter, with 20 threads per inch. In that case, five threads (turns) would equal 1/4" of "travel". 20 threads divided by 4 (quarters of an inch) = 5 turns).

For a saw, you'll have to add an additional part of a turn to account for the width of your saw blade/cut.

Your saw might have a 3/4 - 16 crossfeed size/thread pitch. If so, 4 turns (1/4") plus another 1-1/2 turns or so (for blade thickness) will give you slabs close to 1/4" thick. I turn our drop saw crossfeed 5-3/4 turns.

Hey ya Vince! I'll print this out, and give it to my dear hubby. He's got a way of explaining things to me, not that I can't understand but I'll catch on quickly!  :icon_thumleft:

...the answer my friend, is hidden under a rock!
Anita

vitzitziltecpatl

« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2022, 07:48:49 AM »

Cool. I was trying to add technical info without making it sound condescending. Glad you were happy with the way it came out.

I've worked with a surprising number of "technical" people who haven't known the second part of a thread size callout is the "TPI".

AveIArts

« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2022, 03:44:08 PM »

Cool. I was trying to add technical info without making it sound condescending. Glad you were happy with the way it came out.

I've worked with a surprising number of "technical" people who haven't known the second part of a thread size callout is the "TPI".

LOL, yeah and If my hubby and I still don't understand, I have a strong pair of lungs to ask questions....
...the answer my friend, is hidden under a rock!
Anita
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.09 seconds with 33 queries.