Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How do you transport slabs/rough when buying at shows?  (Read 884 times)

Smokey

How do you transport slabs/rough when buying at shows?
« on: January 13, 2021, 12:42:45 PM »

My wife and I are visiting the Desert Gardens show this weekend. It will be our third time there. This will be the first time our purchases will be mainly slabs and rough. Previous years we bought a lot of cabs and specimens.

So my question to all you who have been going to the Quartzite and Tucson shows for years now is…

What is the best way to transport slabs and rough around shows?  Do you just do constant stops to your car?  Are their any mobile cart type things that are popular for dragging around shows?

Also, what is the used equipment situation like at the Desert Gardens show?  I never paid attention before but now am considering picking up an old saw, hopefully refurbished by a saw guru, that will be a better build quality (and cheaper) than the new stuff I can buy online.  Any people I should look out for?

We will only have one day in Quartzite so I wanna make it count.

Thanks! 

kent

• Fine Woodwork and Lapidary
Re: How do you transport slabs/rough when buying at shows?
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2021, 05:24:12 PM »

I've never been but have fantasized just how crazy I would be buying rock. I've seen collapsible carts at beaches that I always thought would be good to take on a rock gathering trip at one of these shows. Kinda like this :  https://www.amazon.com/BEAU-JARDIN-Capacity-Collapsible-Lightweight/dp/B082F1K1DG/ref=sr_1_38?dchild=1&keywords=beach+cart+with+balloon+wheels&qid=1610586787&sr=8-38   I'd probably cut a piece of 3/4" plywood for the bottom to help distribute the load and protect the canvas.

beach cart (596 x 600).jpg
*beach cart (596 x 600).jpg (64.63 kB . 596x600 - viewed 158 times)

bilquest

• Rocks and Stuff
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2021, 07:16:42 PM »

Hi Smokey,

I like Kents cart, it would be a good method if you buy much rough.  Personally, I have a small backpack that is usually enough space for my slabs.  I also keep a small notepad with me and note the exhibits with the rough that I want.  When I'm done visiting all the vendors I make a last sweep returning to the rough vendors I want to purchase from.  Most of them provide strong sacks for carrying rock that I sling over my shoulder and head back to the car.

I was at Desert Gardens last Friday, and my report is good!  Lots of vendors and great covid precautions.  However, I was disappointed that the Aussies weren't there... apparently they couldn't get on the boat this year.  I always buy stuff from them.  As for used equipment, I saw a nice classic HP cabber for sale.  So, equipment is there, but since I wasn't in the market for any, I may have missed stuff.  Tony had a cool, and very unique slab saw demo in front of his shop, although I don't think it was for sale.

Have fun, there's lots of cool rock as usual!

vitzitziltecpatl

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2021, 06:40:51 AM »

That cart might work. Whatever you choose would have to roll well on dirt/gravel surfaces. We usually carry small backpacks and make trips back to the parking lot as needed. Mostly to avoid dealing with a cart around crowded booths or busy times in general.

Hope you have lots of fun!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.117 seconds with 30 queries.