Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Question on polishing sapphire.  (Read 564 times)

geartech

Question on polishing sapphire.
« on: October 23, 2021, 08:40:33 AM »

Having a little trouble polishing sapphire.

I have a few different laps that came with a MDR master 102 I bought. There isn't much info on a few of the laps it came with.
1 is a crystalite last lap
2 is a white ceramic lap
3 is a clear scored lucite lap
4 is a black scored phelonic / lucite not sure but this is the one I use on softer gems with cerium oxide powder for polishing.
I've got a syringe of crystalite 100,000 mesh diamond as well as 2 bottles of spray diamond in 50,000 and 100,000 mesh

Now to the question. I've been working on polishing a sapphire with the last lap charged with 50,000 diamond and silicone oil and it doesn't seem to polish very well but I could be using it wrong.
The better results have come from the clear lucite lap with 50,000 diamond and water as lubricant but its painfully slow.  Haven't tried the ceramic lap as I'm not sure how to charge and use it and I may not be using the others correctly either any help or places to look for info on these would be greatly appreciated .
So I'm not sure if its me using the wrong lap or using the right lap incorrectly as there was scant information on the last lap and the ceramic lap.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.054 seconds with 23 queries.