Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: lortone combo  (Read 464 times)

sfavell

lortone combo
« on: November 10, 2022, 01:55:43 PM »

Hi
 I bought the old lortone machine would like to get it set up has a carbide wheel not sure what the other wheel is  then has a polishing wheel all the way on the right but there is no felt on it. Any idea  what I need to get it lined out. also needs a saw blade.  Was going to  try opals.

55fossil

Re: lortone combo
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2022, 02:46:08 PM »

Looks like a Lortone Lu6X-130 Combination Machine or a variation of it. If you look up this machine and see a picture of it with an Expandable 8 x 3 inch wheel for silicon carbide wheels it would be like one I used for many years. Super good, long lasting machine. Bearings were difficult to change but they were probably in there for 40 years or more.
Decisions????   I would definitely add the Expando wheel.  Make certain the bearings are good. Between the noise and wobble bad bearings are a pain...
Decide what you want to cut, then figure out what wheels and saw blades you will need. They have super thin blades for cutting opal. Opal cuts super easy so you do not need any coarse wheels for them.
Good Luck.
!!!  If the nuts are frozen on your Unit, consider putting penetrating oil on all nuts and the bearings so you can get it apart without ruining pieces. Parts are hard to come by now.

lithicbeads

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2022, 09:50:55 AM »

A 220 grit hardwheel and expando with diamond belts and you will be set for opals.

sfavell

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2022, 07:52:44 PM »

Thanks for your replies appreciate the help

bilquest

• Rocks and Stuff
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2022, 07:16:20 PM »

I noticed the recommendation for an 8x3 expando in a previous post... doesn't that machine have 6 inch wheels?  6 inch Expando's are available and come in 1.5 or 2.5 widths.  I just wanted to point that out so you don't order an 8x3 and find it doesn't fit.  Happy cabbing!

sfavell

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2022, 04:21:26 AM »

Thank you you are correct  I measured 6 inch wheel ordered.

Phishisgroovin

• Administrator
  • I am here by addiction
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2022, 07:11:44 PM »

I have this unit also. keep in mind you will also need nylon bushings for the wheels.
I got these kind locally at my rock shop, they also come in longer sizes to cut down to what you need.
https://suvalapidary.com/products/lapidary-wheel-bushings?variant=39859914342474

I have an 80 grit rough in wheel, then a 150 grit wheel, both hard diamond, i then use Sic belts on my expando wheel I get 600 grit wheels, then NEVER throw them away until they shred into nothing. they still work when worn out like super high grit diamond polish.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.085 seconds with 37 queries.