Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bunker Hill Mine Silver and Cerussite  (Read 463 times)

AgateLicker

Bunker Hill Mine Silver and Cerussite
« on: November 26, 2022, 11:49:26 AM »

A small specimen obtained in Wallace, ID by my husband at a yard sale. It's on platy galena with lots of small reticulated cerussite crystals. I was researching native silver and the images I came up with helped to ID this specimen. After washing it (it's dirty again, lol) I found a little silver node tucked in the cerussite on one edge. It's ropy and bright!

Specimen is less than an inch square and L shaped like a corner. Crystals are less than 10mm across. Magnification is x30.

AgateLicker

Re: Bunker Hill Mine Silver and Cerussite
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2022, 11:59:14 AM »

Mindat says, "Bunker Hill is neoprot. Polymetallic deposits in neoprot. quartzite of the St. Regis and Revett fm's... Shallow ore bodies mined in the 1880's - 1900's were largely oxidized with cerrusite as primary ore mineral." Which this specimen is.

The mine has produced prolific amounts of zinc, lead and silver primarily and is now operated by a Canadian company looking to exploit smaller overlooked veins  that were bypassed in the past due to them being worth more to pursue than prospective yield would garner post-smelting.

55fossil

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2022, 04:29:57 PM »

Great photos and a nice addition to all our jasper and agate stuff.....  Maybe I will get around to identifying the dozen or so mineral / ore specimens I have from Idaho. Not as cool as yours though.   awesome

AgateLicker

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2022, 08:15:50 AM »

Thanks for the kind words. It would be great to see what you've got hanging around. I don't think I've yet to see an Idaho rock that wasn't ta least interesting geologically.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.107 seconds with 33 queries.