Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: new cabs at last  (Read 408 times)

55fossil

new cabs at last
« on: December 06, 2022, 08:40:25 AM »

These are plume agate cabochons from the Graveyard Point Region of Oregon. Most are from material I dug on my Fantasy Plume Agate claim in the 90's.

vitzitziltecpatl

Re: new cabs at last
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2022, 06:21:26 AM »

Okay. I've never seen any I like better than these. No joke.

Anyone who likes these should also see the others 55fossil posted today. Just click the following link.

http://lapidaryforum.net/group/index.php/topic=6283

I was just gobsmacked by the whole lot... .

hummingbirdstones

• Opalholic and General Rock Nut
  • Administrator
    • Hummingbird Stones Lapidary Services
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2022, 06:53:52 AM »

I think my favorite of these 3 is the last one.  The 3D visual is amazing. 
Robin

55fossil

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2022, 07:02:39 AM »

thank you for the kind words... obviously these are out of my top 1%....

gunsil

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2022, 11:07:53 AM »

Superb cabs!! Your photography skills are awesome too!!

R.U. Sirius

• asleep at the grinding wheel
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2022, 11:44:43 AM »

As others have pointed out, one of the factors that make these cabs outstanding is that patterns are not the stereotypical "trees" of plumes that we usually see in Graveyard Point creations.

It'd be nice to know if you slabbed them the usual way (perpendicular to the vein), and got lucky with patterns, or did you get creative with orientation?

55fossil

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2022, 02:19:05 PM »

I always give Lady Luck a nod... but these pieces were cut specifically for patterns. The plume agates in my other post show a Red and White pattern that was what I call a horizontal cut, across the plumes. I have done this with picture jaspers as well for about 20 years.

Therre are no secrets in cutting cabs...   Many of us discover tricks like this on our own and then realize others have done it for many years. My other favorite non-traditional method is using basanite for backing on translucent agates, especially Graveyard Point plume agate. I intentionally cut very clear agates with wild plumes about 3 mm thick for use with basanite backings. I will post some new pictures if I still have any that were not sold. The red and white piece I posted is one I just recut and polished which has a basanite backing.

55fossil

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2022, 07:59:57 AM »

I made a new post (Plume Agate Doublets) with some new pictures showing 3 of my recent plume agate doublets. I still have problems with getting pictures that show how pretty the cabochons are in person. I just cannot get that "Pop" you see in a great photo with natural sunlight bouncing off a brilliant polish....  Some folks here definitely cut better cabochons and take better photos but I am still having fun.....   
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.094 seconds with 39 queries.