Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Private message notifications in your emails!  (Read 21601 times)

Phishisgroovin

• Administrator
  • I am here by addiction
Private message notifications in your emails!
« on: April 12, 2015, 04:03:53 PM »

IMPORTANT: Remember, this is just a notification. Please do not reply to this email.

PLEASE do not reply to notifications of private messages to your emails.
YES, you can see what the PM says, NO -- you shouldnt reply to it in an email....WHY?
Because "I" phishisgroovin get the email in my website email inbox, NOT the recipient.

Thanks everyone!
Phish. :coffee1:

MrsWTownsend

Re: Private message notifications in your emails!
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2015, 11:23:01 AM »

I can't help but wonder how many times I have done that...

On a related subject, I got an email from a forum member asking about an email they got telling them their personal messages were being monitored on the forum.  What is the story behind this please?  They were exceptionally off put by the fact that their personal messages were being read.

Enchantra

• Head Bead Nut
  • Administrator
  • Insane Bead Woman
    • Enchanted Regalia
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2015, 11:30:28 AM »

Say what?  Last I knew we didn't monitor anyone's private messages.  I've never done it and frankly I wouldn't.  It's an invasion of a person's privacy.  Private message means exactly that.  Private.

Enchantra

• Head Bead Nut
  • Administrator
  • Insane Bead Woman
    • Enchanted Regalia
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2015, 11:32:02 AM »

Gina I would be asking to see that message.  I'm curious now if there has been a breach or if someone is trying to mimic email from our forum to incite problems.

Itsandbits

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2015, 11:37:43 AM »

as far as I know from experienced, a mod or admin with the proper creds can access anyones PMs, correct me if I'm wrong
rocks and people have a lot in common; one persons "leaverite" is anothers treasure

Enchantra

• Head Bead Nut
  • Administrator
  • Insane Bead Woman
    • Enchanted Regalia
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2015, 11:52:27 AM »

as far as I know from experienced, a mod or admin with the proper creds can access anyones PMs, correct me if I'm wrong

Admins can, but as a general rule we leave them alone.  Ain't none of our business what folks are PM'ing about.

Enchantra

• Head Bead Nut
  • Administrator
  • Insane Bead Woman
    • Enchanted Regalia
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2015, 12:05:02 PM »

I think the only way we would EVER monitor someone's messages was if we had reason to believe they were using the forum messaging system to engage in illegal activities (Selling illegal drugs, trafficking of people, selling stolen goods and those sorts of nasty things..)  Which honestly if I saw evidence of either of those, the person would be banned and printed out copies of the PM's handed over to law enforcement.  Otherwise we don't go reading people's PM's, and won't unless someone tells us someone might be using the forum system for illegal activities.

Actually if you have the forum member's name who got this email I want to have a chat with them so I can track down where this email came from.  Because if one admin were monitoring PM's, all admins should know about it.  Since no one is aware of it I smell foul play.

Phishisgroovin

• Administrator
  • I am here by addiction
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2015, 05:19:57 PM »

Admins can, but as a general rule we leave them alone.  Ain't none of our business what folks are PM'ing about.
Dont bother trying, its impossible with this forum program.
Admins cannot read members private messages, if they/we could i would fix it to where we couldnt.

Enchantra

• Head Bead Nut
  • Administrator
  • Insane Bead Woman
    • Enchanted Regalia
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2015, 06:54:48 PM »

Admins cannot read members private messages, if they/we could i would fix it to where we couldnt.

Tell that to another admin we both know on another forum who regularly reads them.  Just another reason I'm not there anymore in official capacity.

Phishisgroovin

• Administrator
  • I am here by addiction
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2015, 06:57:41 PM »

Tell that to another admin we both know on another forum who regularly reads them.  Just another reason I'm not there anymore in official capacity.
goes to show you who respects and who doesnt.
A person would have to dig really really deep in the server side to be nosy. Me, its none of my business or anyone elses business.
I dont even read the replies in the emails i just delete them after hitting reply to notify the sender they need to use the messaging system within the forum, not email.

Enchantra

• Head Bead Nut
  • Administrator
  • Insane Bead Woman
    • Enchanted Regalia
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2015, 08:34:06 PM »

Which leads me Randy back to what was posted above - apparently Gina was contacted by someone who said they were sent a message saying their PM's were being monitored and they were a bit upset.  I don't know who this forum member is that got this notice, but I'm wondering if the message came from a scammer or hacker?

Phishisgroovin

• Administrator
  • I am here by addiction
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2015, 08:41:50 PM »

phpbb allows admin to read messages.
Simple machine wont, might be a scam or someone paranoid.

MrsWTownsend

« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2015, 11:42:49 AM »

]

This is the answer I am looking for.  My response to them was as follows:

I wonder if this has to do with the message that Randy sent out about not replying to forum message notifications that you receive in your email.  Turns out, if you respond to a forum notification vie email, it automatically goes to Randy because he is the forum owner.  That might be what your buddy was informed about.  LOL  I thought it was kind of funny and I had to wonder if I had automatically hit reply from my email at any time...

I am sure that as forum owner, Randy might have access to all forum content by default but honestly, I do believe he has neither the time nor the interest in trying to read everyone's personal messages- he's just not that kind of guy.  There would not be anyone else that would have that kind of access and or who would give a crap if they did, myself included.  LOL

No worries my friend.  if you want more specifics, let me know who exactly contacted him and I will talk to them myself and find out WTF.

Greg Hiller

« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2016, 11:03:15 AM »

I was one of the leaders on a different forum (fish hobby) and while we could read PM's the admin had decided that that would ONLY be done if there was a 2/3 majority vote of the leadership of the forum for each instance and only in a very special circumstance where someone was up to serious trouble.  Not sure if we ever actually did it. 
Always interested in trading slabs and rough

Phishisgroovin

• Administrator
  • I am here by addiction
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2016, 02:06:17 PM »

Why anyone needs to read another person's private conversations is beyond my comprehension.
Stupid and intrusive.

Sent from my C6916 using Tapatalk

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.103 seconds with 52 queries.