Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: A curious material...  (Read 2285 times)

socalagatehound

Re: A curious material...
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2018, 08:21:34 PM »

I have seen it sold under both names, both at Quartzsite and on ebay from Indonesian sellers. Good to hear from a geologist to get it cleared up. Perhaps the choice was made to call it palm root so as not to turn off the American buyers. Either way, you have a couple of very nice pieces which will cut some awesome stones! It always seems difficult to me to find the strong patterns combined with good colors and a lack of inconvenient fracturing in one piece. Congrats on those!

Craig

vitzitziltecpatl

« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2018, 07:57:56 AM »

Very cool to know what it is!

So it's casts of the actual larva and not the little rock "nests". That would explain the uniformly rounded shapes as compared to the irregularly shaped little pebbles from the nests. I hadn't considered it could be the relatively soft little critters themselves, but if it's associated with stromatolite formation that works.

What to call it is a bit tricky, eh? Lots of people buy fossils - and these are beautiful - so how 'bout Caddis Agate. If it's labeled or described online a second line with the fossilized larva info. At shows people would probably just see it and ask what it is. I know if I'd seen it somewhere I'd have said "What is THAT...?" before I ever looked for a label or name.

Thanks so much for the info!

rocks2dust

« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2018, 09:21:42 AM »

So it's casts of the actual larva and not the little rock "nests". That would explain the uniformly rounded shapes as compared to the irregularly shaped little pebbles from the nests. I hadn't considered it could be the relatively soft little critters themselves, but if it's associated with stromatolite formation that works.
Except Caddis larvae are segmented, even in the fossils I've seen, and I don't see any indication of that in your piece and similar that I can pull up on the 'net. Soft-bodied critters tend not to preserve very well, let alone masses of them (for instance, things like worms, one usually sees their tunnels/traces rather than a cast of the worm itself, and insects one usually sees the hard-bodied adults rather than the larvae).

Enchantra

• Head Bead Nut
  • Administrator
  • Insane Bead Woman
    • Enchanted Regalia
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2018, 10:11:54 AM »

I am a scientist, but not of the kind you need for this.
That said, Caddis Fly Larvae Agate is a name that doesn't bother me.
I just think it's pretty.
I want cabs of that.

55fossil

« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2018, 11:08:26 AM »

I have no problem believing it is Caddis Fly Larvae.  Many jaspers and agates are replacement material that do not have any of their original material.  Dino poop comes to mind with it's beautiful color yet still retains the shape of poop. Tons of petrified wood that is just a casting of agate that filled the rotted void or replaced the wood cell for cell..........  Very pretty material.

olgguy

« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2018, 02:46:14 PM »

I JUST HOPE THE LARVAE DON'T WAKE UP. LOL

finegemdesigns

• finegemdesigns
« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2018, 08:09:14 PM »

Thanks for the posts. I think Caddis Agate is a fantastic name so maybe we can use this?

As far as my photos I WISH those were my pieces of gem..

Also I am going to invite Joel to come and participate in the discussion.

:thumbsup: :glasses9: :icon_sunny: :icon_sunny:

ileney

« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2018, 08:05:01 AM »

Because it is a fossil, I think the word fossil should be in the name. That always attracts people. However, Fly larvae is a definite turn off. I don't know any woman who would want to wear fly larvae, no matter how pretty it may look. So my personal sugesstion would be Caddis Fossil or Caddis Agate Fossil. Unless you are making jewelry for boys, in which case fly larvae fossil is probably a good selling feature.

finegemdesigns

• finegemdesigns
« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2018, 10:11:58 AM »

Because it is a fossil, I think the word fossil should be in the name. That always attracts people. However, Fly larvae is a definite turn off. I don't know any woman who would want to wear fly larvae, no matter how pretty it may look. So my personal sugesstion would be Caddis Fossil or Caddis Agate Fossil. Unless you are making jewelry for boys, in which case fly larvae fossil is probably a good selling feature.

lol This is so weird it's like reading minds. I also was thinking Fossil Caddis Agate as a cool and accurate name.
You are right there needs to be either Fossil or Petrified in the name.

:icon_salut:

finegemdesigns

• finegemdesigns
« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2018, 10:31:45 AM »

For some reason these pages appear slightly more blurry than on my computer. Maybe the website is stretching the images?

Anyways this is what I received from Joel in an email.

Edit: If you Right Click on a page and select View Image they appear to be sharper.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.098 seconds with 46 queries.