Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Little Torch  (Read 1808 times)

Neural

• Opal Addict
Little Torch
« on: July 14, 2018, 04:29:33 PM »

So, I have gone through all of my jewelry making stuff, and separated out a bunch of things to keep, and things to sell.

I have a question about the Smith's Little Torch that I used to use for Silver soldering.

It's a propane/oxygen setup.  Would it be possible to use it for aluminum brazing?

I'm not looking to weld aluminum, just brazing to attach aluminum frames to aluminum wall art.

If it is, is there anything different I would need beyond the typical soldering set up?
OpalOpalOpalOpalOpalOpalOpalOpalOpalOpalOpal

Slabbercabber

Re: Little Torch
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2018, 04:35:36 PM »

In the presence of heat and oxygen aluminum will turn to aluminum oxide.  It will loose coherance and all you will have is powder.  Aluminum can only be welded with an oxygen free heat source and protected from atmosphere.  That means the only practical means is MIG or TIG unless you happen to have a powerful laser.

kenny

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2018, 08:31:39 AM »

Yes you can you just have to be careful not to get it too hot it will solder/braze just like copper etc. I do it quite a bit but mainly use propane or mapp gas and aluminum rods it makes for a very strong joint. It is actually very easy. I have a smith torch but it's packed away and I haven't used it but will be if I can find it so I can get a finer flame for pin point welds. There are lots of YOUTUBE vids on it. Here are the type of rods used I haven't used this particular brands I got mine from ACE and then some from HF didn't really notice much difference in brands.

https://www.amazon.com/230x2mm-Temperature-Aluminum-Welding-Soldering/dp/B0736NLM91/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1531668812&sr=8-6&keywords=aluminum+solder

Mud

• I was born wet.
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2018, 08:54:36 PM »

Yes you can you just have to be careful not to get it too hot it will solder/braze just like copper etc. I do it quite a bit but mainly use propane or mapp gas and aluminum rods it makes for a very strong joint. It is actually very easy. I have a smith torch but it's packed away and I haven't used it but will be if I can find it so I can get a finer flame for pin point welds. There are lots of YOUTUBE vids on it. Here are the type of rods used I haven't used this particular brands I got mine from ACE and then some from HF didn't really notice much difference in brands.

https://www.amazon.com/230x2mm-Temperature-Aluminum-Welding-Soldering/dp/B0736NLM91/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1531668812&sr=8-6&keywords=aluminum+solder

x2.  My experience is right in line with Kenny's.  One tip is to pre-heat the pieces to be brazed in the oven, bringing them up to temperature will be that much easier/faster.

Neural

• Opal Addict
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2018, 11:42:54 PM »

Ok, thanks.  For what I'm thinking of using it for, it might be better to go with a MAPP torch, etc.
OpalOpalOpalOpalOpalOpalOpalOpalOpalOpalOpal
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.089 seconds with 33 queries.