Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Rough and slabs  (Read 1133 times)

Maroclapidary

Rough and slabs
« on: March 16, 2020, 04:00:50 PM »

Good day All
I cut these few Amethyst slabs today , and want to show you , also i need your opinion on the rough one , it's bigger to fit in the 14"  saw , so it needs to be cut in smaller pieces , do you know how i can break it without turning it into useless pieces?
Thanks

Felicia

Re: Rough and slabs
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2020, 07:55:18 PM »

The old-fashioned way. Saw a thing on YouTube. There was a stone working video and they drill a row of holes and gradually pound in conical wedges successively back and forth down the row. It's still often done that way. Don't know how good that will be for something composed of crystals, though. better than a hammer I suppose.

ileney

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2020, 11:59:21 AM »

Any chance someone from a local mineral club has a bigger saw or maybe someone at the geology lab at a loal university could be persuaded to help you out in returnb for a slice?

Maroclapidary

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2020, 04:01:19 PM »

Any chance someone from a local mineral club has a bigger saw or maybe someone at the geology lab at a loal university could be persuaded to help you out in returnb for a slice?
Unfortunately there is no club in the entire country  , no lab or university nearby either

Kaljaia

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2020, 09:53:59 PM »

A business that cuts rock for tabletops, counter tops or other furnishings might be able to help you quarter it down into a size that will fit on your saw.
- Erika

I rock hunt in the Antelope/Ashwood area of the John Day river basin in Oregon.

safossils

• Walt's Music
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2020, 07:16:23 AM »

I use a 7 inch diamond tile blade mounted in a skill saw to score both sides, then use a hammer and chisel to finish the cut. Usually works for me. The thick blade wastes some material, but for me it's worth it to get saw sized chunks.
Walter G Farmer
Guitar pick maker and musician from Tucson AZ

Maroclapidary

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2020, 10:59:07 AM »

I use a 7 inch diamond tile blade mounted in a skill saw to score both sides, then use a hammer and chisel to finish the cut. Usually works for me. The thick blade wastes some material, but for me it's worth it to get saw sized chunks.
Can i do that usine my 10" hi tech saw?

safossils

• Walt's Music
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2020, 12:46:58 PM »

You will have to clamp the rock some how, I use plumbers tape to strap it to a large piece of wood. You will have to be very careful as a 10 inch saw has a lot of power and will kick back. A mask and face shield is a must at well. Since you are using the tool for something other than what is was designed for there is always a risk.
Walter G Farmer
Guitar pick maker and musician from Tucson AZ
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.112 seconds with 41 queries.