Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Iron Pyrite Slab / Smooth Slab 4x3x.5" from British Columbia  (Read 1510 times)

Michael

Iron Pyrite Slab / Smooth Slab 4x3x.5" from British Columbia
« on: February 13, 2018, 12:15:58 PM »

I have seen more typical Iron Pyrite this year than in previous years.  Yet all of it is crystalline, and I had never seen a slab of the stuff until I came upon some nice folks from BC who had a site in Quartzite (2017 show).  Has anybody  ever cabbed this material?  I usually do not do specimen stones, but I keep looking at it figuring how to best cut, sand and polish if that is practical.  Thanks

Slabbercabber

Re: Iron Pyrite Slab / Smooth Slab 4x3x.5" from British Columbia
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2018, 01:52:39 PM »

I've never seen it slabbed but I have seen tumble polished specimens.  It just looks like polished metal.

edgarscale

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2018, 03:40:31 PM »

i've seen large windows (2"x2") polished on a one pound chuck of rock.  looked really good.  didn't know if it could be cut into slabs though, have never seen it in slab form. 

50% rockhound and 50% wire wrap
       ='s one great pendant

Redrummd

• Global Moderator
    • Art In Stone
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2018, 10:57:49 PM »

I use it for knife scales and Jewelry.  I sand it to a nearly worn out NOVA 1200 grit and then Fabuluster and ZAM metal polish on soft cotton stitched wheels.  Use 1 inch wide cotton wheels at 3600 RPM and I remove 2 rows of the stitching to keep the wheel stiff but fluffy on top.  Use very light pressure with the metal polish.

ZEKESMAN

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2018, 10:57:12 AM »

I have cabbed alot of turquoise with big pirite chunks in it. It is messy. I use my genie. I polishes great. Did I say it is messy?  Vic

Jhon P

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2018, 11:57:50 AM »

Micheal, wow that looks great on that buck. But how dose it hold up?  Or is it just for display?

Redrummd

• Global Moderator
    • Art In Stone
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2018, 07:54:29 PM »

Micheal, wow that looks great on that buck. But how dose it hold up?  Or is it just for display?

It holds up great.  I do the final polish with metal polish and that is how the buyers keep it looking mirror polished.  The same with jewelry in that I just use a red rouge cloth to buff it up  to a mirror polish after it sits for several months.

Michael

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2018, 08:23:46 PM »

Thank you for all your responses.  I just like unusual stones.  This is one of them. 

irockhound

• RockhoundingUSA
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2018, 08:26:19 PM »

I have noticed that it stands up better after polishing as opposed to left in slab form.  I have had some material decay but if you go thru the polishing process it seems to somehow protect it better than if left natural and my cut pieces have not decayed.  I have had similar affects from some stones that change color due to hydration loss but cab them and the color seems to last.  With Pyrite it is the oxidation that causes the decay but it still seems to protect it somehow if processed.  There of course is also the quality factor that plays a part too, some low quality material will be more prone to decay.  With Marcasite the more Marcasite in the piece the more it will suffer from decay especially if exposed to water for long periods.

edgarscale

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2018, 07:09:03 AM »

nice piece, glad to hear it stands up.  may try slabbing my rock too.

50% rockhound and 50% wire wrap
       ='s one great pendant
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.106 seconds with 46 queries.