Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Deer Sky jasper cabochon  (Read 1046 times)

55fossil

Deer Sky jasper cabochon
« on: January 10, 2019, 12:39:18 PM »

What can I say, I just liked this one. 43 x 27 x 6   mm  trilliant. Colors are all natural. Cut this out of some rough I found in the canyon where I mine this material.  I think it is the flow of the red that works for me.  I also like bigger, well domed cabochons.

Has anyone else noticed that many cabochon sellers are now selling mostly flat, thin cabochons?  I see this with many big sellers. Is it because it is just quick and easy (tumble polish) or is it because this is where the market is now?????

Orrum

Re: Deer Sky jasper cabochon
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2019, 01:11:09 PM »

You know Neal back in the olden days a lot of folks used flat laps for cabbing. They called them buff top cabs and they were a hit!!!  I wonder too, you know fashion always circles back around. What's important to me is composition and Neal you can really compose a cab and also write a fantastic description!!!

hummingbirdstones

• Opalholic and General Rock Nut
  • Administrator
    • Hummingbird Stones Lapidary Services
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2019, 04:49:57 PM »

I think it's a beautiful cab.

I like lower domes and that is what I normally will cut, but there are times when I do buff tops.  I will cut buff tops on opal if there is a very thin color bar or if the pattern will be affected by doming it.  I will also cut a buff top other material if there is a feature on the stone that I want to retain (a picture of design) that I think will be removed if I dome it.
Robin

Stonemon

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2019, 05:19:22 PM »

That's a good one Neal.
I end up selling a lot of low dome cabs. Not sure what that is about but I cut both and they seem to garner equal attention.
Happy new year to you...

Bill

VegasJames

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2019, 09:57:02 PM »

Great looking cab. Love the color combo.

rocks2dust

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2019, 10:08:04 AM »

Like Orrum, I also remember the days (doesn't seem that long ago, though it has been a few decades) when low-dome was the standard. Some of the rarer stuff was only cut thin, but that wasn't only to squeeze an extra slab out of spendy rough: jewelers preferred thinner because lightweight is easier to wear, there is less waste on smaller size cabs, and the glow that can happen in material with only a hint of translucency is lost in a high dome.

For some transparent/translucent stones like moss, plume or tube agates, thin tablet and low-domes can also make the pattern pop.

During the late 1980s and early 1990s, a fashion for chunky and primitive/medieval designs from some of the high-end jewelers made use of thicker cabs and deep, native-cut faceted stones. Now thin rose-cuts and similar are back in fashion (I've even seen tablet-cut diamonds lately). So, there is cyclical fashion, wearability and what sort of jewel will be the final use for the stone.

Love the swirled pattern in your piece. It really suits the cabochon shape you chose!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.065 seconds with 38 queries.