Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hello from Oregon  (Read 327 times)

S.bainard

Hello from Oregon
« on: April 22, 2023, 10:17:01 AM »

Hello all! I am fairly new to rockhounding and would love all advice, tips, and whatever pearls of wisdom I can get from everyone. I bought an old Lorraine 10” slab saw and I love it! My only issue is that I don’t know what type of diamond blade is best for agate and jasper (primarily what I want to cut) and I know I should be using a dressing stone to keep the blade cutting well. Just not sure what type works the best. So if anyone has any advice about those things, I would be so grateful! Thank you and I’m excited to check this site out!

lithicbeads

• Administrator
Re: Hello from Oregon
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2023, 10:36:57 AM »

The MK blades are more or less the gold standard. Lots of blades can be found at the Kingsley-North website. Highland Park lapidary has a good green blade I am told and their video on blade sharpening  seems to be the definitive one . Welcome.

S.bainard

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2023, 10:45:56 AM »

Thank you! I will check those out!

55fossil

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2023, 01:24:07 PM »

Yes to the MK blades. And I will never again buy what are sold as MK look alike, compatible or others pretending to be an MK Diamond Blade. I purchased what I was told was an MK 18 inch Diamond blade last year, but it was a knock-off, not a true MK blade. The metal was soft, it had a warp in it and it has never cut correctly. The company I purchased it from said that due to COVID, all the blades and metal items produced overseas are now second rate. He even said MK has the same problem. Anyway, I kept the blade and used it and have nothing but regrets. They offered to replace the blade but what good is that, plus pay for more shipping!!!!  Anyway, if it does not say it is manufactured by MK, and does not have the MK logo on it, you might want to reconsider, if you are truly looking for an MK blade.
    Yes, there are other good quality blades out there.
    I also believe in using a stick to refinish the blade as it wears. I use a 1 inch square piece and make several passes and the blade cuts much better.
good times and good luck

lithicbeads

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2023, 02:28:03 PM »

MK has had a hard time since covid, they have few machines to sell for example.

Phishisgroovin

• Administrator
  • I am here by addiction
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2023, 08:31:28 AM »

The MK blades are more or less the gold standard. Lots of blades can be found at the Kingsley-North website. Highland Park lapidary has a good green blade I am told and their video on blade sharpening  seems to be the definitive one . Welcome.

blade sharpening, like with my little tile hammer lightly all around the face of my cutting edge lol!

S.bainard

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2023, 04:05:25 PM »

Thank you everyone for the tips. Couple of questions: which of the MK blades would be best for agates? 301? 303?
And second: which dressing sticks should I use to keep the blade cutting well?

lithicbeads

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2023, 04:35:41 PM »

for a 10 inch saw you can use a continuous rim .
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.085 seconds with 40 queries.