Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Apache Style Flat Pouch  (Read 2836 times)

Leroy Anderson

Apache Style Flat Pouch
« on: May 11, 2016, 03:34:09 PM »

Here is another reproduction I made of an Apache flat pouch from the 1920's to 1930's. It has what they called a peko beaded edge. The term I use is a stacked edge beading. This is made from smoked brain tan deer leather with 12/0 seed beads. The original pouch is 4 1/2 by 4 1/2 inches. The edge beading goes around the entire pouch including the flap. Photo 1 shows the original pouch and photo 2 shows the back of the pouch. Photo 3 shows my reproduction of the Apache flat pouch and photo 4 shows the edge beading. I have found that many of the old Apache pouches are circular in form and have a small flap.

Ranger_Dave

Re: Apache Flat Pouch Reproduction
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2016, 07:12:54 PM »

Did you do the brain tanning? I have done it a few times. It's a lot of work but the leather is soooooo soft.

Leroy Anderson

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2016, 08:00:13 PM »

I have a friend that does the brain tanning and I buy brain tan deer from him.  To me once you have beaded on brain tan you do not want to do beading on any other type leather. I have seen rattles that were over 200 years old and the brain tan leather was still very flexible. Yes brain tan can be very soft and at the same time it is tough.

Ranger_Dave

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2016, 08:39:04 PM »

I am working on tumbling 25 pounds of Apache tears to trade with someone for a brain tanned elk hide. I'm going to make a coat out of that.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.105 seconds with 33 queries.