Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cutting Opal (Water or Oil?)  (Read 2032 times)

jerrysg

Cutting Opal (Water or Oil?)
« on: July 10, 2016, 11:33:25 AM »

We just acquired some Arizona Blue Opal. Mostly blue common opal (still makes some nice cabs) but some play of fire can be seen. 

The question I have is: can I use my 10" saw which is now is using mineral oil to trim away the matrix rock or do I need to use a water based lubricant and change the saw over?

Jerry

gemfeller

• Art Cut Gems
Re: Cutting Opal (Water or Oil?)
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2016, 12:25:21 PM »

Do you have a smaller trim saw, 4" or 6"?  That's what I use with water as a coolant to remove matrix and slice opal as needed.  Opal is permeable -- oil will penetrate into it and can change the color.  A smaller saw can be switched from water to oil easily but a 10-inch may be another deal altogether.  I'd recommend using water only for opal.

jerrysg

Re: Cutting Opal (Water or Oil?)
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2016, 02:09:29 PM »

Thanks for the reply. That's what I was afraid I would hear. :sad4:

I do have a smaller trim saw. Use 4" and 5" blades with water only.  Was planning on using it for the smaller pieces but it's too small for the large ones.  One of our local clubs has a couple of hydraulic trimmers and I will probably be using the larger one to cob off the majority of the matrix on the larger pieces. Then use our smaller saw to get to suitable roughs.

Jerry
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.062 seconds with 31 queries.