Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: I cut and polished an opal, so what's next?  (Read 3574 times)

ASO

Re: I cut and polished an opal, so what's next?
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2017, 09:30:44 PM »

Good Point unless it was a gift you probably shouldn't get to attached.  Better off having your fun moving on and upgrading there is bound to be something better around the corner.  I recently sold my wives favorite opal in our inventory and she took it pretty well considering.  Hopefully my next better one is around the corner soon. 

John Robinson

« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2017, 10:28:52 AM »

Well this what I did with the Spencer. I cut three cts off and found the stone was very fragile and so I made a doublet with the 11 ct stone - to protect the stone and to increase the angles from which the color can be seen.
I am very pleased and wonder whether I actually decreased its value (?) one can see its range of color from across the room now.

This video was a quick fix and is full of flaws but I just wanted to show the opal to a few friends. I might make a better video later. The resolution is bad it looks at lot better in HD but it would take forever to upload an HD version

https://youtu.be/55T-Ylffywc

IMG_1847.JPG
*IMG_1847.JPG (30.33 kB . 455x607 - viewed 221 times)

ASO

« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2017, 10:49:30 AM »

I have always liked the use of a facited cap on doublets or triplets it can give a cool effect. As for increasing the value I'm not sure but you did make something that is more stable and wearable and very interesting.  If a stone cant be worn it only has specimen value.  It looks like you still have some work to do on the back to finish the stone off getting rid of the sharp edges and all.  I think you should be happy with what you have done so far. 

ileney

« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2017, 10:50:57 AM »

Love it!

I recently bought a clear rock crystal faceted stone and was thinking of possibly taking a 3mm round opal cab stone and imbedding it in the center bottom (may be a little difficult to cut with a ball burr as the crystal is faceted). I wonder what that would do. I seem to recall someone doing something like that in one of the lapidary journals or another magaine and it reflecting all over. The faceted stone is oval though, not round, so I am not sure that would look right. Thoughts?

ASO

« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2017, 11:20:41 AM »

If you do something like what you are talking about I would do it with a stone that covers the entire bottom of the cap. because the blank space around the stone will show up in each facet

hummingbirdstones

• Opalholic and General Rock Nut
  • Administrator
    • Hummingbird Stones Lapidary Services
« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2017, 01:01:17 PM »

If the stone is oval, most likely it will have a keel pavilion.  Not sure how that would be reflected in the crown facets.  I know round stones with a regular pavilion will reflect in each crown facet.

See here:

http://facetingacademy.com/learn-faceting/learn-faceting-free/gem-inclusions/
Robin
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.093 seconds with 37 queries.