Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Smithing: Construction technique question....  (Read 1608 times)

Rosemaryr

Smithing: Construction technique question....
« on: December 17, 2018, 06:29:46 PM »

I am pre-planning/designing pieces to make for family gifts, and for the nephews, I was considering belt buckles.  My question:
If my primary material is silver, can I make the parts that will take stress (the prong, bar, hook, etc.), out of silver as well?  Or should those be steel (or something else)?  If silver, can they be work-hardened enough for regular use/abuse?  If steel, is there a special technique needed to solder them to silver?  Any metal smithing advise will be gratefully accepted.

Thanks!

ileney

Re: Smithing: Construction technique question....
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2018, 06:54:27 AM »

I’ve never done it, but I’ve seen some lovely heavy duty, thick gauge buckles made purely of silver. I haven’t seen the combination of steel and silver soldered, I don’t think.

Rosemaryr

Re: Smithing: Construction technique question....
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2018, 08:42:44 AM »

Thanks! :thumbsup:
 I guess I'll have to plan on using heavy guage silver stock, then.  [And, having the belt have enough holes in the leather that it fits without too much stress on the silver!]  Design/engineering/planning.... it all starts there.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.111 seconds with 31 queries.