Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Walrus ivory pendant  (Read 1051 times)

Gergis

• Global Moderator
  • "I MILK MY ROCKS"
Walrus ivory pendant
« on: May 26, 2017, 08:26:04 PM »

Was at the thrift store awhile back and was looking thru the jewelry cases(thats normal male behavior right? Haha) and noticed what appeared to be a cabbed slab of ivory. It was awefully busy in the store and only one clerk that was cashing folks out so I wondered around for a bit, found a new dog bed for the jojo pooch(she's happy!). I went back and still had to wait about fifteen minutes(very patiently!) for the clerk to let me take a closer look. I was almost certain that it was walrus ivory. I looked at the back of the piece and it had a tag for two dollars. I got incredibly giddy and told the worker "I'll take it!" Brought it home and immediately drilled and finished the other side(it was unfinished with glue on it so I figure it was a belt buckle before as well as taking care of some undercutting on the previously cabbed side. Best two bucks I might ever spend I think! As far as cutting If anyone cares I will say I didn't notice any kind of organic smell when I cut it which I thought was sort of odd. If I had to say how hard it felt, I'd put it in the 5.5 to a 6mohs range. Like a soft quartzite. And it took an incredible polish! Happy thrifting! 

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

irockhound

• RockhoundingUSA
Re: Walrus ivory pendant
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2017, 10:10:58 PM »

Awesome find!  I love Ivory and used to do scrimshaw along with my other hobbies.  I have quite a bit of new and old Ivory and thanks to lovely California I can't do a dang thing with them.  It irks me that no Mastodon or Mammoth has been killed in recorded history for it's Ivory yet they bundled that with the total ban on Any ivory.  Even my families ivory from when we lived in Alaska and handed down family treasures from my Grand Parents is unusable .  I can gift it to my brother since he is in a state that allows using Fossil Ivory.  Sorry for rant, Ivory is a hot button for me lately.  Fortunately I bought some Tagua nuts too.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.083 seconds with 29 queries.