Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: dismantling 14" saw  (Read 1342 times)

robirdman

dismantling 14" saw
« on: June 13, 2019, 08:18:11 AM »

After cleaning almost all the oil and scum off, I decided to repaint, but need to dismantle more, and couldn't get the pulley on the right side off, though the Allen screw is out.  Because of the housing, there is no leverage to pull. So then I was going to take the saw blade off and unscrew anything else holding the shaft in to pull the whole thing out.  but the nut for the saw is very tight and I want to make sure I am not going the wrong way.  The arrow shows the direction the saw turns.  Wouldn't the nut be loosened the standard way, counter-clockwise, the opposite direction.  Very resistant and want to make sure I am not tightening further, before even more pressure is applied.

vitzitziltecpatl

Re: dismantling 14" saw
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2019, 07:39:51 PM »

Loosen the saw nut by turning in the same direction as the blade rotation. They tighten in the opposite direction.

robirdman

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2019, 05:04:29 AM »

Thanks.  It was extremely hard to loosen with a wrench on the nut and a pipe wrench on the shaft, because I had tried hard the other way.  Now I find I still can't get the blade off, and need to take the housing off. 

catmandewe

• Global Moderator
    • Idaho Rock Shop
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2019, 09:15:52 PM »

Use a deadblow hammer to get it knocked loose (can also use an impact if you have one)
For the pulley get a pulley puller, invaluable if you are going to work on stuff.

Tony
www.IdahoRockShop.com

Authorized Diamond Pacific Dealer

robirdman

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2019, 07:14:31 AM »

I got an used a pulley puller to get one pulley off.  The other one next to the threads where saw came off is much more resistant. I hammered with a heavy plastic mallet from the other end but don't want to use too much force.  I thought I had WD40 but will go out to get some before proceeding further.

Slabbercabber

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2019, 12:57:05 PM »

That aluminum pulley will want a three jaw gear puller.  WD 40 is a poor penetrating oil.  Try something made for the purpose or use heat instead.  The best is acetone and transmission oil or paraffin and heat.

PhilNM

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2019, 06:47:57 PM »

blade cover has 2 screws. remove them and blade cover and blade will come off easier. pulley is probably boogered on to shaft. tap inward instead, then file shaft clean of burrs created by someone overtightening the set screw.

robirdman

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2019, 10:16:21 PM »

I got the blade off but left the other pulley behind it on, disconnecting the bearings from the frame and dismantling all parts of the frame for cleaning and repainting.

robirdman

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2019, 01:23:19 PM »

Now that the saw frame is mostly dissembled, cleaned and painted, there are some other things I'm wondering about.  The plates in the vise were in very bad shape, and one fell in 2. I am wondering what they were made of . Masonite?

Slabbercabber

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2019, 10:43:05 AM »

Could be anything.  They are sacrificial parts.  I've used birch plywood, maple, polyurethane, and a few other things i can't think of at the moment.  None of them seemed special.  It just needs to be soft enough to grip the rock firmly without crushing it.

robirdman

« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2019, 12:06:49 PM »

I was wondering about Masonite because I have some ~1/4" left over that I could cut and use if that is suitable.  The surface seems harder than the usual woods, and I don't know if it disintegrates easily with oil.

charles

« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2019, 03:34:54 AM »

I have Masonite on the vice for my 14" drop saw and it works great and easy to replace when needed.

Charles

robirdman

« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2019, 05:19:16 AM »

thanks.  Easy to cut and drill.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.077 seconds with 52 queries.