Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lapidary Saw - Arbor Direction?  (Read 283 times)

nkk9960

Lapidary Saw - Arbor Direction?
« on: July 31, 2022, 01:17:05 PM »

Hi!  I just joined.  Looks like a great forum!  I am looking forward to seeing everyone's beautiful work!

I am going to start off with a question...

I'm in the process of restoring / putting back together a Highland Park 10" lapidary saw.   I *think* I have the arbor and motor oriented correctly, but I want to make sure before I bolt the motor down.
I would attach a video, but apparently it is too large, so I will describe.  From the point of view of the top of the saw, I am hand turning the motor arbor in the direction it will go when the motor is running.  The saw arbor turns front to back.  Is this correct?  I haven't bolted the motor down yet, so I can easily still swap it around.

Thanks!

peruano

• Retired Zoologist
Re: Lapidary Saw - Arbor Direction?
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2022, 03:23:01 PM »

No!  You want the saw blade to turn downward at the front of the saw.  I.E. Throw water etc, down onto the saw table and the slot in front of the blade.  I hope this clarifies your situation. 
Combining a love of bikes (pedal and otherwise) with hiking, hounding, lapidary, and the great outdoors

lithicbeads

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2022, 04:15:44 PM »

Saws are dangerous enough with the blade traveling downward as viewed from the front. Always downward. Good question . Enjoy the site.

nkk9960

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2022, 09:59:42 PM »

I swapped the motor around.  I've got everything bolted down.  I turned the saw on and it doesn't explode, so there's that.  It got too late to test with rocks, so that will have to wait a bit. 
Thanks!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.056 seconds with 29 queries.