Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Unknown material  (Read 2818 times)

VegasJames

Unknown material
« on: October 28, 2018, 01:56:38 PM »

Have not made a positive ID on this material yet. Will be sending it in shortly for testing. It is very hard. Cannot scratch is with a pure quartz crystal but I was able to make a tiny scratch in the quartz crystal with it. The color varies from light green to dark green and even dark blue-green. There is traces of turquoise running through some of the material.

DSC_0803 by James Sloane, on Flickr

southerly

Re: Unknown material
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2018, 08:53:23 PM »

If it is really tough it may be peridotite or an associated pyroxene mix.

VegasJames

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2018, 09:17:19 PM »

If it is really tough it may be peridotite or an associated pyroxene mix.

Thanks. I checked the hardness of peridotites though and they area hardness of only 5.5 to 6. This has a hardness of around 7 as quartz will not scratch it but it can barely scratch a quartz crystal.

hummingbirdstones

• Opalholic and General Rock Nut
  • Administrator
    • Hummingbird Stones Lapidary Services
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2018, 06:52:57 AM »

Has an almost rainforest jasper look to it.  Please let us know what the outcome is when you have it tested.
Robin

VegasJames

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2018, 10:24:43 AM »

Has an almost rainforest jasper look to it.  Please let us know what the outcome is when you have it tested.

Hopefully I will be sending it off to GIA shortly. I need to make a small ca if it under 20 carats. Normally I do mot do small cabs since I dom't use a dop stick. A soon as I can get that done and make a couple of cabs of suspected turquoise to send off I will get them off to GIA.

lithicbeads

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2018, 08:10:36 AM »

lapilli metatuff ?

VegasJames

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2018, 11:20:49 AM »

lapilli metatuff ?

No idea. I did send it off for XRD testing in New Mexico. They came back with 50% quartz and 50% sanidine, which makes no sense since the 50% sanidine would reduce hardness. Sanidine is only a hardness of 6 and brittle. This stone can scratch a quartz crystal and is not brittle at all.

Of course this is the same lab that I had some turquoise blue stones tested and they came back with 100% malachite on two of the stones and 98% malachite and 2% quartz on the third. Since malachite does not occur in blue I have serious doubts about their testing or I have the rarest malachite on Earth.

lithicbeads

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2018, 01:30:03 PM »

If the sanidine sorce was volcanic like a rhyolite it very well could be a tuff. We have lots of them in the northwest but it also looks  more than a bit like a local very rare rock keratophyre with a very similar structure and color.

VegasJames

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2018, 02:35:29 PM »

If the sanidine sorce was volcanic like a rhyolite it very well could be a tuff. We have lots of them in the northwest but it also looks  more than a bit like a local very rare rock keratophyre with a very similar structure and color.

A tuff would not have a hardness of 7+.

How about the keratophyre. Is it at least a 7 in hardness?

lithicbeads

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2018, 04:16:37 PM »

Tuff is a strange beast.You can carve many tuffs with your fingernail but in 40 years of cutting the hardest stone I ever found was a piece of tuff below Glacier peak. It had an open structure  and with magnification almost resembled a cheese grater in texture.As for hardness it was off the charts harder than any chert or porcelain jasper I have ever cut and noticeably so.I think geology makes weirder things at times than we can imagine.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.091 seconds with 45 queries.