Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: unknown yellow mineral, reds ideas please  (Read 4849 times)

55fossil

unknown yellow mineral, reds ideas please
« on: April 29, 2017, 05:49:18 PM »

This 2 x 2 inch piece was found while removing jasper  chunks in Oregon. The jasper was 100 feet below what appears to have been volcanic material at a private mine. I included a picture of the matrix which is coated with a shiny blue metallic coating. I am guessing this is some type of sulfide that intruded brecciated jasper. I also included a picture of a cabochon I cut from the host rock. Everything is covered and intruded with this strange bacterial. Also a lot of pyrite / marcasite. Not sure which.

lithicbeads

• Administrator
Re: unknown yellow mineral, reds ideas please
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2017, 07:21:48 PM »

Sort of reminds me of autunite. The color also reminds me of arsenic minerals.

rocks2dust

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2017, 08:17:50 AM »

Some other sulfides are a possibility, but I agree that my first thought upon seeing the colors on that first chunk was orpiment + realgar. The polished piece is really nice!

55fossil

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2017, 08:25:03 AM »

I am going to have the rock tested for minerals at a lab. I am really afraid of some toxicity in there. I would hate to be polishing arsenic....

thanks for the replies.   neal

Kaljaia

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2017, 09:38:57 AM »

Where do you send for testing? I have some almost identical to that.
- Erika

I rock hunt in the Antelope/Ashwood area of the John Day river basin in Oregon.

irockhound

• RockhoundingUSA
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2017, 09:54:14 AM »

I had a piece that I picked up in an old collection and every time I look at it the crystal shapes and color looks like Torbernite which some of those shapes reminded me of, of course yours is yellow not green.  Yours is a different color but Yellow to me is always a danger color in nature.  I put mine in a zip lock and in a sterilite tote and shoved it in a corner of the garage hoping someone might have a giger counter to test it before I get rid of it.  I should probably just toss it since I have no love for it but do have a fear of it.

55fossil

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2017, 03:20:45 PM »

Well, I only licked it twice so I thiiiink I will be okaaaay......  Seriously, I am concerned about the jasper because of all the sulfide content. I will be sending samples to ALS in Nevada as they have been great to work with. Mostly they work with huge ming conglomerates but always seem to take the time and help me out.  Not Cheap!  You get what you pay for. Simple testing is under $1000 but what is your health worth. Since I plan on selling tons of this new jasper I do not want to endanger anyone else health.
    There will be a delay while I sell my house and move to Oregon, hopefully next month. Then I will roll out the blanket. Here is another photo...

Mark

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2017, 03:49:51 PM »

My first thought was autunite too.  Orpiment is also another nasty stone.  I have several pieces of Orpiment from China and also some Realgar.  The red Realgar crystals are really hot.  Just be careful about storing stuff like that too.  I have been warned before to take the stuff outside and open it in the open with lots of air.  Don't open it inside after its been closed up for awhile and don't inhale the concentrated fumes.  Pretty much goes for anything now a days. 

If the Jasper turns out ok, i would love to buy a decent size batch.  I love yellows and oranges in agate.  I am gonna have to take a job in OR at some point, so i can go look for some stone of my own.  OR has got to be one of the most incredible locations for lapidary stone in the world.  So many incredible stones come from there, and i am betting there are lots left to be found.  As long as there is still land available to collect on.

55fossil

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2017, 07:26:14 PM »

Orpiment really looks like a match.  I will put a notice up after I get a lab report about toxic minerals if any in this material.  I have sold a few pieces which you may see pop up for sale. As far as I know there is less than 100 pounds of the new jasper in private hands right now outside of myself and a friend. After realizing there might be some problems with sulfides I held back on selling. But I also know there are dozens of rocks on the market from Tiger Iron to Bumble Bee that seem to have toxic minerals and people cut the stuff all the time.....   thanks for the input,  neal

yukonjade

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2017, 07:46:55 PM »

:icon_scratch:

I have run across several cinnabar ( mercury mines ) in central Oregon on my rock
hunts,the rough you have is similar in coloration to some of the dumps I have seen.

rocks2dust

« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2017, 09:41:23 PM »

But I also know there are dozens of rocks on the market from Tiger Iron to Bumble Bee that seem to have toxic minerals and people cut the stuff all the time.
Yes, there are quite a few gem materials which get their coloring from such minerals that can be toxic in the raw form. Toxicity is normally not a problem if the mineral is bound up in the silica (similar to their uses as colorants in glass, flooring, pottery glazes, etc.). Raw orpiment/realgar can indeed be toxic if not handled with care, but your photos looked to me like the minerals were chiefly present as a crust on the outside rind (something for you to consider when digging/handling and cutting, but not necessarily for wearing as cut gems. It is quite possible that any sulfides present are so bound up that they do not present any health concern. In a similar situation, toxic lead (Pb) is still added to most all fine crystal drinking glasses and barware, and it isn't considered a problem because it doesn't leach out of the glass in any significant amount (you get less from drinking and eating from such wares than the lead an average person consumes daily direct from the other food in their daily diet) - and other potentially toxic minerals such as cadmium, cobalt, etc. are also regularly used around your home from your dinner plates to the plastic on your children's toys. The difference is that the those minerals are locked up and not available in free form to be absorbed. In addition, we pick up minute amounts of lead, arsenic, copper and other potentially toxic minerals in ordinary foods, from the dust we breathe, water, etc. This natural exposure only becomes toxic when the amounts greatly multiply to a point (toxicity) where the body is unable to handle them. Some, such as copper, are actually things the body needs (in tiny amounts). Something to consider when asking the people at the lab.

55fossil

« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2017, 08:27:08 AM »

to Rocks2dust;

I agree, the world is full of toxic stuff that will not hurt you, normally. But everyone likes to sue people these days so I will do my testing and add a warning if needed when I sell this stuff. I know Graveyard Point plume agate is in an area full of mercury deposits. I just make sure and cut wet and always wear a mask these days. Thanks for the input, it was good.   neal

jakesrocks

« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2017, 08:57:52 AM »

Yellow & orange are common colors in radioactive minerals. You might want to have it checked for radioactivity while having it tested.
A day spent without learning something new is a day wasted.

55fossil

« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2017, 12:31:45 PM »

Good News.....   Just talked with my buddy about the yellow and red stone. Turns out it came from a show purchase and just wound up on the wrong bench. I am still going ahead with the testing on the new jasper but feel way better now.....    but     

8 years in the Air Force, worked in places without windows and funny phones....  I do not worry about radioactive stuff anymore.  The cover sheet on my medical file was a radio active sign.... I never knew that until I got my files 20 years after I got out of the Air Force...  Funny the things they do not tell you until later...  loved every minute, almost.

jakesrocks

« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2017, 06:37:43 PM »

Good News.....   Just talked with my buddy about the yellow and red stone. Turns out it came from a show purchase and just wound up on the wrong bench. I am still going ahead with the testing on the new jasper but feel way better now.....    but     

8 years in the Air Force, worked in places without windows and funny phones....  I do not worry about radioactive stuff anymore.  The cover sheet on my medical file was a radio active sign.... I never knew that until I got my files 20 years after I got out of the Air Force...  Funny the things they do not tell you until later...  loved every minute, almost.

LOL. 20 Years in the Navy. Once spent several hours sitting atop a submarines nuclear reactor, taking measurements for additional shielding. Never saw my results from that, but I'm now fighting cancer in my lymph nodes. Trust uncle sam to screw you up.
A day spent without learning something new is a day wasted.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.117 seconds with 52 queries.