Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: 3 for today - this is my escape  (Read 1916 times)

irockhound

• RockhoundingUSA
3 for today - this is my escape
« on: April 21, 2020, 09:55:03 PM »

Sorry for all the posts but I need the social to keep from going nuts here and my only way to get past my driveway.  Here is 3 from today.  A bouquet from Singleton Ranch, Texas and a Condor that had a great color change from Orange to Black I had to take advantage of and a Mexican agate.  Shot with my cell phone since I didn't feel like setting up the tripod for pics tonight. I was looking up at the stars tonight and thinking man it would be a good night for a campfire in the desert.

ps not going jaundiced - the orange of my thumbnail was pealing an orange with dinner,  I didn't notice till posted.

Opal Mike

Re: 3 for today - this is my escape
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2020, 02:32:26 AM »

Fabulous  :icon_salut:

NUF said!

southerly

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2020, 03:08:00 AM »

Love the plume, very nice.

hummingbirdstones

• Opalholic and General Rock Nut
  • Administrator
    • Hummingbird Stones Lapidary Services
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2020, 06:17:37 AM »

Steve, that Bouquet is out of this world and the other two are close behind!  Absolutely beautiful.  Don't ever apologize for posting up lots of rock candy.  We're all in the same boat and it gives us a great diversion, too.

Personally I'm loving all these cabs you've been posting up.   :icon_sunny:
Robin

Ryaly2dogs

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2020, 09:21:44 AM »

All three are beautiful.  That bouquet is World class!  Amazing material and craftsmanship.

FVPty

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2020, 10:23:11 AM »

Sorry for all the posts but I need the social to keep from going nuts here and my only way to get past my driveway.  Here is 3 from today.  A bouquet from Singleton Ranch, Texas and a Condor that had a great color change from Orange to Black I had to take advantage of and a Mexican agate.  Shot with my cell phone since I didn't feel like setting up the tripod for pics tonight. I was looking up at the stars tonight and thinking man it would be a good night for a campfire in the desert.

ps not going jaundiced - the orange of my thumbnail was pealing an orange with dinner,  I didn't notice till posted.

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

Felicia

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2020, 01:17:03 PM »

Just great.

gemfeller

• Art Cut Gems
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2020, 01:20:09 PM »

All outstanding Steve -- but the plume rules.

Opal Mike

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2020, 05:21:53 PM »

Question for all you guys.. Do you polish these agates with cerium on leather, or with diamond. I would be interested to know your process.

I have a long running ‘debate’ with a friend of mine who finishes everything with diamond sprays from 3000 up to 100000, which I also use on some material like the tiger. I think pure cerium (white cerium), is just as good as 100000 diamond sprays in polishing cloths, but he is convinced his polish on the diamond is always better?

Talking about carvers and polish... I know that Sherris Cottier Shank prefers oxides wherever practicable. For those of you guys not familiar with her work check out Gemscapes. Sherris likes to work with Sunstone also, but she works with a lot of gem material.

Sherris is quite unique as a carver. She works on a fixed arbor and holds the stones in her fingers. She also works both sides of the stone at the same time.

I have seen a lot of carvers work such as Larry Woods and Bruno Moser, the later being the best Australian carver I have seen, and was as good as any of the very best.

The one thing these great carvers have in common is understanding how to use light as a medium.

Sherris is a master at this. She played with light for over 20 years, developing different cuts and angles in the backs of her pieces to enhance light, and to achieve the look she wants through the tops of her carved pieces, as can be seen in her ‘vortex’ cut.

Have a look at her work and think about how each stone was cut in her fingers, fully freeform....

Quite remarkable!

Mike

irockhound

• RockhoundingUSA
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2020, 09:32:51 PM »

Wheels I do 120, 220 steel then 280 600 1200 14000 nova and for agates I use Optical Cerium as a wet paste on a wet stone and on a dry rough leather pad.  Probably pretty normal but I know others have their favorites when it comes to polish.  I let the stones develop a little heat but not too much and repeat the process a couple times.

Opal Mike

« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2020, 02:37:26 AM »

Not as spectacular as Steve’s offerings, but the Variscite is really high quality, beautiful dark glassy lustrous material...alas no more....fresh of the dop sticks this afternoon.

I have to admit, I am very fond of the Morrisonite Jasper...

Cheers,
Mike

Opal Mike

« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2020, 02:38:27 AM »

Lol...it isn’t that long..I will post it again

Opal Mike

« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2020, 02:41:04 AM »

That is funny...look how long my fingers are.. I should take a photo of me..might make me nice n tall lol...be a problem if it made me super wide though like the stone above. It is actually a nice balanced shape, but you can at least see the quality of the Variscite.

vitzitziltecpatl

« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2020, 06:11:15 AM »

Steve - thanks for letting us escape too, by seeing those cabs.

Mike - polishes and pads are an infinitely interesting subject. Some stones like one combination better than the others. Similar to how it's better to skip a particular diamond wheel grit with certain stones. Depends on the stone.

Since it's easy, I use diamond for most things. Alum Oxide (sapphire powder) or 100K diamond final - except for softer stones. Cut some Lepidolite recently that required diamond on felt. Added fresh extender fluid since I hadn't used that lap in a while.

Can't go wrong using the optical cerium, though. It's friable, they use it for space telescopes, and it's available in super fine sizes.

hummingbirdstones

• Opalholic and General Rock Nut
  • Administrator
    • Hummingbird Stones Lapidary Services
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2020, 06:50:11 AM »

I'm an optical cerium girl.  I'll use diamond up to 50K then usually hit it with cerium on leather.  Right now I have a leather pad with the rough side out, but the best leather I've used is elk leather.  Really soft and hard to get now.  Way back they used to sell them as polishing pads, but I guess they got too expensive and stopped.

Once in a while I'll use AlOx if I'm not getting the polish I want.  My newest trick is to then put the cabs in my vibe (a reloader) and let them go in 50K Vibra-Dry for a while.  For some reason, it makes a really good polish even better.

BTW, Mike your pictures look perfectly fine on my laptop.
Robin

ileney

« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2020, 10:26:40 AM »

Those are beutiful!

Felicia

« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2020, 11:09:06 AM »

Kingsley North or Minnesota lapidary might still sell elk leather pads. I forget which one I got mine from. Wonder, now if it will be hard to replace. Try Spotted Pony traders, I got an elkskin for a apron from them. If that happens, you might want to go in with others and cut your own. Spotted Pony is a dealer to re-enactors. There are others, too.

MineralSpirit

« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2020, 11:25:23 AM »

I recently bought a 6" leather pad from JBL, and on their website they refer to both cow and elk leather pads, but don't technically promise to send you one or the other. It might be worth inquiring which they actually stock at the moment.

The pad they did send me seems quite soft, but I don't have any prior experience with elk leather so I can't really discern one way or the other.

MineralSpirit

« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2020, 11:38:05 AM »

Also, I would be remiss if I didn't add that those three cabs are all awesome, but I particularly like the bouquet agate!

Felicia

« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2020, 02:33:21 PM »

Elk is soft, like a thicker version of deer.

irockhound

• RockhoundingUSA
« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2020, 09:20:40 PM »

When I worked for BMW's design office before retiring our person who spec'd all the color and materials for future BMW's was always buying leather samples and then at the end of the year she would roll in the trash cans and dump all the previous years samples.  Whenever I knew it was happening I would raid the cans and take home the samples.  A lot of the leather manufacturers give out almost an 8" x 10" sheet.  I have had luck with these softer leathers making smooth pads.  Not sure who else would use or purge leather samples but there is always a lot of waste in design and manufacturing.
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.061 seconds with 62 queries.