Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Is it still a Bouma sequence if...  (Read 484 times)

AgateLicker

Is it still a Bouma sequence if...
« on: July 13, 2022, 09:11:39 AM »

Technically speaking, would siltstone/mudstone couplets with shallow argillite top caps to each unit still be Bouma?

The current must not have been sufficient to deposit the A and B layers so only the mellow fine grained sandstone (Bouma C), siltstone graded to mudstone (Bouma D) and finally the fine grained suspended clay particles represented as argillite (Bouma E) are present.

The laminations in these metaseds I've been playing with are superfine, down to mm or less and apparently mid-depth shallow turbidity channels have deposition characteristics that fit what I'm looking at.

Anyway, I figured I'd throw the question out if anyone has an opinion on the matter.

Hope everybody's feeling well and the gardens are all poppin'!

55fossil

Re: Is it still a Bouma sequence if...
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2022, 12:58:46 PM »

IMOP:   WHAT????   I hope someone has an answer that us lay people will understand. I am just wondering if this has anything to do with pretty rocks we can dig in some way. Geology is cool.  But this needs to drop a notch or two for me to understand. Do tell more.....

AgateLicker

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2022, 05:28:53 PM »

Okay, I can see how it's just words without an example. Huzzah for me (and Robin's image resizer)- for we now have imagery.

This is a nice little lens from the top of the Upper Wallace fm, Belt Supergroup, Sanders co. MT

I ask because there's a huge amount of contention within the BSG community and maybe my small amount of personal probing can shed some light.

AgateLicker

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2022, 05:35:15 PM »

Tidal flats get nice little channels that flush sedimentation into deeper water where it is naturally graded into layers (couplets) by the gentle flow. Since my laminations are so fine I'm wondering if the current (hah) system for classifying sedimentation deposition (Bouma sequence) still applies even though only the top three or even two layers are present.

I guess I shouldn't nerd out so hard on you guys, sorry.

55fossil

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2022, 06:21:13 PM »

Okay, many of us nerds here...  What is the size of the material in the photograph? Is this inches thick, mm thick or is this a huge layer maybe ten feet thick but shrunk down in the photo?
    I was just looking at a very layered piece of Amazonite I acquired. It is about a foot thick and 40 pounds. I am trying to guess at its qualities before I cut it. Much of my deer sky jasper is layered and full of organic matter that acumulated in side pools and eddies back in the Mioceone period. So, I too am curious but looking for details to fill in my lack of knowledge in this area. Do tell, please.....   more specifics so I can nerd on.

AgateLicker

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2022, 09:41:13 AM »

55, I remember recently grilling you about your disappearing/healed microfractures in the Deer Sky material. Gorgeous stuff.

Okay- first, the scale in the image's field of view is about 40-45mm tall. The laminations are microfine but very distinct. After mining the web for bits to the puzzle I've decided they are all under Bouma D as graded mudstone facies or rhythmic mudstone facies. They were likely produced by flash flooding in a river delta. The specific flow dynamic responsible for this deposition type is called hypopycnal flow, as far as I can infer.

Maybe your Deer Sky was marshy lake that seasonally flooded, bringing in lots of bits likely. I'm kind of obsessed with the seds here because nobody agrees whether the giant inland body of water on the landmass at the time of deposition (Mesoproterozoic) had a solid body of land locked water (lacustrine) or a large body open at both ends to influence from other bodies (marine). My brain tells me I've hit a snag in the sweater and so I've been getting a little more into it, seeing if the humble grindings of my grey matter can suss out a little light.

Your Miocene is much later, but flow dynamics is flow dynamics!

If your interested in a bit of light learning, check out this link. Dude's got a lot of middle of the road type info. Approachable, yet loaded with things to look up and enable the hunger further.

The page is on turbidites, which I find often as ungraded and tumbled rip up clast breccia in either carbonate or a jelly chert which I guess is supposed to be opal-CT. Another hole for me to fall in that's patiently waiting. Anyway, I followed the turbidite trail and learned about Bouma sequence subsequently. 

https://www.alexstrekeisen.it/english/sedi/turbidite.php

Here's a shot  of a weird display nugget that is a top view of the lamination's orientation. The pink is wavy argillite that is immediately followed by the green medium grained quartzite with  foliated illite mica. Flash floods is all I can come to. Maybe it was intertidal but for the clay rich layer to not be impregnated on the "top" by the next layer it would have had to settle out of suspension in the water, be compacted either by dessication or pressure and have a homogenized skin-type reaction to new incoming sediments.

55fossil

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2022, 10:47:56 AM »

Cool and nerdy. But I do live by the rule of the Crow... If it's shiny I will pick it up. It is all about beauty to me. Name game is for others. I cut what I feel is pretty to me.  thanks for the education.

AgateLicker

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2022, 11:50:24 AM »

I hear you loud and clear. Unfortunately my hyperintense interest is prob just a weird coping thing. I don't do social media and this place is always open to digest my queries. I appreciate every raised eyebrow. And as far as laymen go, I'm about as common as they come, so don't worry. I, too, abide by The Law. This material checks the boxes for me. Shiny, silicified, colorful, easily shaped, local and prolific. Thanks for your interest. I'll be keeping an ear out for your findings re. the Deer Sky's potential dep. origin of ever you stumble upon it.

I made a quick concavity to show the laminations (pardon the lazy nibble marks I didn't sand out.) Top two examples above in the thread are from the same chunk; this is a less turbulent piece with few ripples/folds/pinches. The lens is only a centimeter thick at this cropping out and occurs between two much coarser quartzite layers.

55fossil

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2022, 06:26:41 PM »

Deer Sky origin.   I have the proof of origin in stone for the fossilized material. I will have to dig out the material and do a sequence of pictures. I have pieces that start at the top layer with actual fossilized plant material that proceeds down into volcanic ash full of silicified (jasper) material with plant material that has carbonized into the black bits in the jasper. Had thought of doing an article on it but decided to just enjoy the stone. Well, one more thing to put on my "to do" list.

AgateLicker

« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2022, 12:02:38 PM »

At your leisure, that would be super enriching to behold. Just saying.

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.074 seconds with 41 queries.