Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: I miss my opals  (Read 1853 times)

Neural

• Opal Addict
I miss my opals
« on: August 26, 2014, 12:38:09 PM »

going on year 3 now without access to my pretties and the ability to make more of them.  Everything all boxed up and stored.

Every time something goes wrong with the computer or the internet, etc., I'm reminded of how much I miss being able to sit down and just work with opal, or any stone for that matter, and as much as I sucked at it, I miss silversmithing too.

Sometimes I wonder if my body will be capable of returning to it all by the time I have the chance.  Eyesight started to do the "old age" thing last year, among other things.  Memory is not as much of a problem, unless you need to do something important like, oh I dunno, properly handle a torch and soldering equipment.
OpalOpalOpalOpalOpalOpalOpalOpalOpalOpalOpal

lithicbeads

• Administrator
Re: I miss my opals
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2014, 03:26:15 PM »

I too have had scares this last year and worries that I am cutting my last stone. It is wonderful though to have an activity that is so wonderful that we crave it. That craving shows we used good judgement when we became involved with the hobby in it's many permutations. Keep on hoping.

hummingbirdstones

• Opalholic and General Rock Nut
  • Administrator
    • Hummingbird Stones Lapidary Services
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2014, 07:06:05 PM »

Jon,

Can't you dig out the flat lap and at least use that?  My eyesight sucks, too, but that's why G_d made optivisors!   :glasses9:
Robin

Neural

• Opal Addict
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2014, 09:35:18 AM »

Jon,

Can't you dig out the flat lap and at least use that?  My eyesight sucks, too, but that's why G_d made optivisors!   :glasses9:

No space to do so. :(   We had to move into an apartment.   Another issue is curious four pawed critters that like small things.  It just wouldn't be possible to make things safe enough for me to work with them around (they are both really large cats, and unfortunately not the smartest examples of Maine Coons you'll find).
OpalOpalOpalOpalOpalOpalOpalOpalOpalOpalOpal

Enchantra

• Head Bead Nut
  • Administrator
  • Insane Bead Woman
    • Enchanted Regalia
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2014, 10:10:16 AM »

I'm really out of ideas on how to help you Jon.   :icon_scratch:
Cats can be a bit of a problem when they want to get into everything.
Is there a local club you can join where you can go one night a week and grind some opal?

Phishisgroovin

• Administrator
  • I am here by addiction
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2014, 04:34:27 PM »

I worked an ethiopian only with a hand diamond & carbide files, wet/dry sand paper from 600 to 4000.
if you are determined, its possible.

Asianfire

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2014, 06:44:51 PM »

If you are looking forward to only working opal, a dremel might be the key. The attachments and unit are easily stored in a single drawer. Noise is a minimum, and the variable speed, while not as good as a flatlap will allow you to do virtually anything. Files take a while, but on the other hand, you got control over the fire you expose.
Best regards, Kurt
Anything not given, is lost.

hummingbirdstones

• Opalholic and General Rock Nut
  • Administrator
    • Hummingbird Stones Lapidary Services
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2014, 08:15:34 PM »

Cage the buggers up while you use the flat lap.  You have a kitchen table, right?  Then put it away in a cabinet or closet when you're done.   :icon_cat:

Where there's a will, there's a way ...
Robin

Bentiron

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2014, 04:17:09 PM »

A met a fellow thru my youngest son that works at Walmart, this fellow has two young grandsons and three cats, his solution, a roll top desk with two pad locks, This fellow does faceting and jewelry making and repair. He works when the grandsons are in preschool and kindergarten, then the cats are put in a large play cage while his grandsons are in school, this allows him four hours of free from little feet and hands. I didn't care much for the fellow, I was always wrong and he was always right but we meet from time to time for breakfast when I'm up for a trip to Oaks Dinner.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.1 seconds with 43 queries.