Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: need some schooling on HP combo unit set up  (Read 1688 times)

Lydia

need some schooling on HP combo unit set up
« on: July 31, 2018, 12:54:59 PM »

Hi everyone, I bought an old 60's era (I think) HP E-4 combo unit.  I would love to get it running now that I have a home for it but I know nothing about how to mount the motor!  I know it can be mounted under or behind the unit.  I am putting it behind the unit because its on a pretty solid surface that I don't want to bother cutting into.  Anyway, it is a 3-stage motor so how do I figure out the correct distance so the RPM's are in the right range?  Help!!  Thanks in advance...

PhilNM

• Global Moderator
Re: need some schooling on HP combo unit set up
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2018, 04:01:58 PM »

distance doesn't matter. pulley size and motor RPM do.  motor should be 1750 rpm, and pulley set up should take whel rpm down to 1/2 of that. Does make a difference if you're running carbide wheels and belts or diamond tho. Diamond can go faster. you should set up for speeds between 800 and 1725 rpm depending on what wheels you're using. For specific info or even just for pics on how the new HPs are set up, you can always go to their web page and look at the units for sale.
you say 3 stage motor..... do you mean the pulley is a triple with 3 different sizes or??? If the variable pulley is on the motor, then you probably need to hang it under the unit so you can change speeds. That, or you need to devise a way to be able to adjust the tension every time you want to change speed.  I've always used just the slow speed for longer wheel life and better control.

Lydia

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2018, 04:19:36 PM »

The pulley has 3 sizes...It is a combo unit so the saw, the wheels/belts (SiC), and polishing pad are all on same axle.  I thought I needed to be able to adjust the speed depending on what I was using, yes? I guess I don't understand how hanging it underneath would help change speeds... can you explain further? How do I determine how fast everything is turning? I know nothing about motors but am willing to learn :) thanks

lapidaryrough

• www.lapidaryrough.com
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2018, 06:55:34 PM »

https://highlandpark.freshdesk.com/support/solutions/articles/14000040959-highland-park-combo-units

The best source of support as well as estimations of how much your unit might be worth would be Tim Larocca at Cigar Box Rock - (541) 280-5574.

Found at New Highland-park. Had old unit listed.
I have the E-10 8''

All parts do spin, on my E-10, Why you should install a drain plug. With a full gate value. i use a 10'' grinder faster cut and last longer. Doing fire agate rough for tumbling run for zoning material for regrinding.
  Jack.
Silicate life form

Lydia

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2018, 07:51:53 PM »

I printed off the operating instructions awhile ago. They are helpful but not for the finer points of setting up the unit unfortunately.

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

vitzitziltecpatl

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2018, 07:44:09 AM »

Lots of folks like to use an old piece of countertop to mount equipment on. Allows for drilling three sets of holes so you can move the motor as needed to change belt position for different speeds. Makes the whole unit portable, and easy to get a wrench underneath to loosen nuts when you move the motor.

One of the equipment manufacturers used to make a motor base with an angled slot for moving the motor, but I can't recall who it was. Was a good design, but scrap countertop and drilling holes was less expensive... .

Lydia

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2018, 09:50:33 AM »

good idea

PhilNM

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2018, 04:13:36 PM »

or just add an idler pulley  to take up the slack regardless of which speed you choose.

vitzitziltecpatl

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2018, 10:11:33 PM »

Heh. Leave it to Phil to put up the best solution. Idler pully - just like the one on our 18" saw.

Phil, I had never thought of doing that - always just kept doing it the same way I had seen it done in the past. Thanks for the great idea. I think I'll add that to the old Lortone arbor setup I was getting ready to drill too many holes for... .

Slabbercabber

« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2018, 05:42:28 AM »

I like to hang the motor on a plate attatched to a pair of hinges.  The weight of the motor provides adequate tension regardless of belt length within reason.

PhilNM

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2018, 09:56:26 AM »

:)   

the hanger is a good one too. Also mount motor on LARGE hinge and position for middle slot, you'll have enough range for all 3. They used to make a slide plate mount that you mounted the motor on and then just used the lever to slide it back and forth for proper tension, and they were great! But I haven't seen them in many years, new OR used.

Mud

• I was born wet.
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2018, 06:10:05 AM »

Lots of folks like to use an old piece of countertop to mount equipment on. Allows for drilling three sets of holes so you can move the motor as needed to change belt position for different speeds. Makes the whole unit portable, and easy to get a wrench underneath to loosen nuts when you move the motor.

One of the equipment manufacturers used to make a motor base with an angled slot for moving the motor, but I can't recall who it was. Was a good design, but scrap countertop and drilling holes was less expensive... .

I'm just finishing up something very similar to this.  I salvaged a few solid office doors a while back, and finally made bases for my saws and arbors this week.  Drilling the holes in the bases for the motor mounts was easy, and I "slotted" the motor mount holes to allow for fine tuning adjustments.

There's some very good information in the thread above!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.119 seconds with 50 queries.