Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hello from the Puget Sound!  (Read 1539 times)

Mar247

Hello from the Puget Sound!
« on: May 24, 2019, 10:32:57 AM »

Hello everyone! I am from the Puget Sound of Washington and I'm new to the Forum world so I hope I do this right... bare with me. I am a rookie hounder. Though new to this obsession of hounding, I have had a love of rocks my whole life. My grandfather Ed Lauer was a rock hound as well before the 1980s. His collection has been passed down to me and I have been blessed but overwhelmed with trying to identify specifically what they are and where they are from. The main reason for me joining this community is to get help with identification of this collection and of my own that I find from around here. As well as general Rock talk and other tips. I am eager to learn! I was recommended this forum by a fellow subscriber of mine from my YouTube channel. I AM NOT soliciting new subscribers! I only mentioned this so that this person knows I followed through and joined. This person mentioned there were other Puget Sounders on here that know a lot and can help. As well as others who have great knowledge. I am excited and look forward to getting to know many of you.
A few other things about me......
I have a 10 inch saw I use to cut my rocks with, I have four double barrel 3-pound tumblers for tumbling, I paint rocks, and just started getting into wire wrapping. I love any and all things to do with rocks! Looking forward to getting to know many of you. Cheers!

lithicbeads

• Administrator
Re: Hello from the Puget Sound!
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2019, 11:01:54 AM »

Hi and welcome from Whidbey.

55fossil

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2019, 11:32:52 AM »

Hello and welcome.   Two great places to help self identify stones are Etsy and E-Bay. Yep, there are a lot of BS sellers who do not correctly identify the stuff they sell. But, when you look at dozens of agate and jasper sales you will identify the easy stuff right off. If you have money to burn get the Agates I, II and III. They are incredible....   Hans Gamma's books on Owyhee Region are also excellent for common jaspers and agates of that area and reasonably priced.

Kaljaia

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2019, 01:10:22 PM »

Hey welcome from eastern Oregon, and originally from the Sound! Great rockhounding on the Washington beaches all throughout the Sound. There's some awesome folks active in the lapidary hobby up there, not sure where all the clubs are based but getting eyes on your material would probably help with ID.
- Erika

I rock hunt in the Antelope/Ashwood area of the John Day river basin in Oregon.

Stonemon

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2019, 03:07:08 PM »

Welcome from Western Oregon...

Bill

VegasJames

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2019, 12:59:19 AM »

Welcome to the forum.

hummingbirdstones

• Opalholic and General Rock Nut
  • Administrator
    • Hummingbird Stones Lapidary Services
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2019, 02:07:40 PM »

Welcome from Northern Arizona!  We do have quite a few folks from up your way.  Post some pictures in the identification section and I'm sure you'll get a lot of help.   :hello:
Robin

ileney

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2019, 05:10:53 PM »

Welcome from Maine!

Michael

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2019, 10:00:03 AM »

Hi:  Welcome.  I live in Hansville from June to mid October, and Southern AZ in the winter.  Best of all worlds.  You may wish to join some of the Sound area rock clubs.  Kitsap R&M Club @ Chico.  Pallyup Rock and Gem Club.  The President, Ken, makes equipment and I have bought some great stuff from him.  They do field trips etc.  @ Pallyup, WA.  Maplewood Rock and Mineral Club in Edmonds (take the Kingston Ferry across)  I do not know which part of the Sound you are located, but one of these should work for you.   All great people.  Loads of fun.  Summer in the NW is great!!!  All of these clubs have web sites!  Good luck!!

Mar247

« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2019, 10:50:17 PM »

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome and advice. The identification section I'm sure will be helpful. I just recently joined the Kitsap G&M Society. I live in Port Orchard so it's closest. I hope to learn a lot thru them as well. I can only bring in so many to identify at a time tho so I use my YouTube channel for help as well. But someone suggested I come here and talk with people who may be able to help as well. Again, thanks everyone, I appreciate any and all. You'll be hearing from me;)

Enchantra

• Head Bead Nut
  • Administrator
  • Insane Bead Woman
    • Enchanted Regalia
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2019, 11:55:22 PM »

Welcome from sunny central AZ!  :headbang:

Phishisgroovin

• Administrator
  • I am here by addiction
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2019, 08:16:04 PM »

Welcome from the Ghetto of downtown Kent Wa!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.077 seconds with 50 queries.