Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Changing out Wheels  (Read 2490 times)

lithicbeads

• Administrator
Changing out Wheels
« on: November 14, 2015, 06:27:30 PM »

Gergis and I have been cutting on totally worn out wheels for months.  You can still get excellent results but it is very time consuming.  I was in no rush to change out the very worn 600, 1200, and 3000 grit Nova wheels on my Titon because they were at the perfect stage for cutting undercutting jade.  I have relented and replaced my wheels a few weeks after Gergis replaced his. You can follow the process in these photos.  The pellet stove is 2 feet from the Titan and is crucial to keeping my old hands functioning.

vitzitziltecpatl

Re: Changing out Wheels
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2015, 06:58:09 PM »

Cool. New wheels are great. For most things, as you note in your undercutting comment. Now - if you ever cab without dopping - just be careful of the skin on your fingertips. Old wheels, no worries. New wheels, sanded fingers in a hurry. Yes, that's the voice of experience.

Did you have any balance issues with the new set? Sometimes takes me a few tries to get them lined up so they work well together.

lithicbeads

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2015, 07:30:47 PM »

I never dop but I heal fast. I have been throwing pots  instead of cabbing so I haven't even turned it on. I better find some agate and get these broken in next week.

vitzitziltecpatl

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2015, 07:41:53 PM »

Yeah, thought I remembered you saying you don't dop in another post somewhere. I usually only dop for things like old-style high domes (with no girdle) or really small cabs. Have fun with the agates!

Glenn

• Going to the more remote places to find gems
    • Glenn's Lapidary
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2015, 12:00:22 AM »

Thats why you keep long fingernails... if they are long you simply haven't been cabbing enough :)

wampidy

• A ring on the hand is worth two on the bush
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2015, 12:09:21 AM »

I hope you did not hit anyone when you were throwing those pots. Something you have probably never heard before. hahaha

Wheels look good. I need to get one to go between my 100 and 3000. Tough step even for malachite. there is a sic wheel there that I just left because I did not have anything else and most of my cutting is done on the velcro diamond plastic pads or VD-PP.
Jim
I threw a stone into the air.
It came to earth "ouch"
I now know where.
You can quote me on this, I have the scar.

LithicStrings

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2015, 07:58:00 AM »

Cool. New wheels are great. For most things, as you note in your undercutting comment. Now - if you ever cab without dopping - just be careful of the skin on your fingertips. Old wheels, no worries. New wheels, sanded fingers in a hurry. Yes, that's the voice of experience.

Did you have any balance issues with the new set? Sometimes takes me a few tries to get them lined up so they work well together.

Thanks for the reminder - we need to buy more medical tape to go with these new wheels!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.07 seconds with 39 queries.