Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Another request for agate ID  (Read 1309 times)

Ryaly2dogs

Another request for agate ID
« on: August 27, 2019, 08:15:14 AM »

This rock came from a prior Rockhound sale that I have since turned into a sphere.  Rather hard banded agate material that is nearing completion with a few scratches I need to attend to.  Any ideas as to name and/or locale?  Thanks in advance.

Ryaly2dogs

Re: Another request for agate ID
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2019, 11:55:37 AM »

I added two more pictures of the rough piece I cut the sphere from to aid with ID.  Feel free to jump in with ideas.  Thanks in advance for your consideration.

Stonemon

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2019, 12:03:06 PM »

Don't recognize it but it is nice...

Bill

Slabbercabber

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2019, 05:23:07 AM »

My best guess would be petrified wood.  But even if it is, it has far too much replacement to guess at a type.

irockhound

• RockhoundingUSA
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2019, 02:08:56 PM »

Interesting material.  The bottom picture of the sphere makes the fortification area look similar to Chapenite but only that area of it.  The large piece in the ochre and color bands look similar to Rainbow Ridge material but clear areas were never that large and although Rainbow ridge had some peach colors it never had bright pinks and almost always many more dendrites.  Interesting material to say the least  Got me stumped

yukonjade

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2019, 02:58:48 PM »

When I saw your sphere I realized I had a chunk of that material someplace,after searching everywhere in the rockpile I found it under my saw.
 I believe I picked it up at the Prineville rock show within the last few years. Where are you located.?

Ryaly2dogs

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2019, 01:51:30 PM »

Sorry for delay, have not checked this thread in a while.  I am in Central California on the Coast (Santa Barbara area); I picked this chunk up in a Thousand Oak's rockhound pile.  So unfortunately, provenance is pretty much lost, but I think what you produced in a dead ringer!  Did it have a name at the Prineville show?

thanks.

yukonjade

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2019, 04:09:49 PM »

I believe it was found in assorted pile however we could name it, how about taffy or candycane  ?? :icon_scratch:
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.072 seconds with 42 queries.