Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Finally, coloured Diamonds seem to be hot in 2018  (Read 3646 times)

Asianfire

• Global Moderator
Finally, coloured Diamonds seem to be hot in 2018
« on: February 17, 2018, 06:50:33 AM »

Recently an article came up on one of the forums which gave a listing of things in jewellery that are deemed hot this year. Coloured diamonds have always fascinated me way more than the white ones. But somehow, every time I mentioned coloured diamonds, I seem to fall on deaf ears.

As some of you know, I started in this hobby because I was looking for a present for my wife, but could not find anything to my taste that would have been anywhere close to my meager budget.

First, I found Fire Agate, then I dabbled in a variety of things.
One of the things I tried was buying individual stones and trying to design something to be created by a local jeweler in gold.  One of the major surprises was the availability and cost of coloured diamonds. I settled on one supplier and had first few deliveries tested. All tests returned untreated natural.

Naturally, my first design was a nightmare for the jeweler, as I asked for a total overload of stones to be set.
This piece from the center outwards, Fire Agate, sapphires, champagne and black Diamonds, plus three rough diamonds, and tanzanite on top with ruby (untested, and I belief heat-treated) on the bottom.   
Coloured Diamonds by Kainzer  Kurt, on Flickr

Learned from my mistakes on the first piece and scaled the number of stones down dramatically for the second attempt in designing and compiling stones.

By then, I was still buying and matching stones for a project that was/is close to my heart. I somehow never managed to afford or like  a cross design-wise all my life, so I accumulated quite a few (changing my mind about shapes helped that too :) :)  ).
In the end I ended up with this cross classified brown (in my eyes green) and auburn VVS1 to VS Diamonds with star sapphire.

So I had too many nice stones (still have around 20), and took the opportunity to create something I would never manage to do on my own: Rings
and

It has to be mentioned here, that only the heart Fire Agate was done by me. Every other stone above has been individually bought and pieces are created by a local jeweler. All I did is designing.

So now, I use the remains of the stones occasionally.

So I think, that will explain as to why I like coloured diamonds better than the overpriced white ones.
The other benefit: people while appreciating the beauty, never realize what they are. So one can openly wear them on a daily basis without appearing as a show off.......

Till here for now, feel free to add your own stones or jewelery containing coloured diamonds......
Anything not given, is lost.

edgarscale

Re: Finally, coloured Diamonds seem to be hot in 2018
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2018, 07:12:34 AM »

very impressive

50% rockhound and 50% wire wrap
       ='s one great pendant

ileney

Re: Finally, coloured Diamonds seem to be hot in 2018
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2018, 08:34:41 AM »

Love that fire agate and diamond heart! Very impressive!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.118 seconds with 31 queries.