Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: Restoring a 1950s Frantom 18" Slab Saw  (Read 5734 times)

OldeTimeDC

Re: Restoring a 1950s Frantom 18" Slab Saw
« Reply #45 on: October 09, 2021, 11:08:55 PM »

Here's where I posted the pics of my last finds from the rock show:

http://lapidaryforum.net/group/index.php?topic=6050.msg44235#msg44235

vitzitziltecpatl

« Reply #46 on: November 05, 2021, 08:22:41 PM »

Dennis - I finally got the arbor drive pulley to pop loose this evening. Had filled the set screw hole with penetrating oil 3-4 months ago, and hadn't tried to pull it off since then.

Put the puller on it today, centered it, and gave it a go. It popped out about 1/8" but was still pretty tight. Looks like really old dirty oil had dried under it over the years. Filled the set screw hole with more penetrating oil. Will see how it goes tomorrow morning.

It WILL come off of there now, and I'll finally be able to swap the feed drive pulley for a smaller one to slow the feed rate.

vitzitziltecpatl

« Reply #47 on: December 04, 2021, 02:47:41 PM »

Well - finally got the drive pulley off the arbor. Has at least .002" ridge around where the set screw spun on it decades(?) ago.

I'll just clean it up enough to get the feed drive pulley swapped out for a smaller diameter, and use it as-is for while.

R.U. Sirius

• asleep at the grinding wheel
« Reply #48 on: December 05, 2021, 08:19:23 AM »

Look at that, you could place a retaining ring into that groove!  :smiley:

Seriously, though, what do you do when shaft surface is damaged or spalled, so bearings or bushings or sheaves cannot be mounted? Grind and sand it flat, then use thin shims ("tolerance rings") to ensure good fit?

vitzitziltecpatl

« Reply #49 on: December 05, 2021, 09:33:59 AM »

One hopes to be able to sand the raised defects down without reducing the diameter - but that doesn't always work out. I have used sheet metal strips to "sleeve" more than one shaft. Not ideal, but sometimes "whatever works" is okay, right?

vitzitziltecpatl

« Reply #50 on: December 19, 2021, 08:43:23 AM »

Got that arbor cleaned up, and installed the smaller drive pulley and shorter belt for the feed.

Had another project pop up that has kept me from testing it. I can guarantee it won't be long until I do... .

OldeTimeDC

« Reply #51 on: December 31, 2021, 07:18:39 AM »

Hello Everyone...just popped in to see if I've been missed (which I doubt  :icon_tongue:) and give an update. Was going to get back to work on this but now another set back.....while trying to help move a large piece of machinery (about 400lbs) I fell and cracked an elbow bone on the concrete so my arm is in a sling for a couple months to heal. I think once I get done with this saw I'm going to sell it....any inquiries take it to PMs. Once done I'll post an ad. In the meantime I'm out of commission for any larger projects but not completely out of commission. Just have to adapt.....Typing on a keyboard is difficult and even had to have a friend help install a spinning knob on my steering wheel so I can drive my car one handed. That's one thing about having many interests....I'll just do something else in the meantime. Don't feel sorry for me...I learn from my mistakes so rarely repeat them and glad it wasn't worse especially when my skull bounced off something hard. I see it looks like its been quiet here...maybe I'll pop over to Quartzite in Jan if anythings happening there just to look around...ciao

vitzitziltecpatl

« Reply #52 on: January 01, 2022, 02:45:25 PM »

Yeah, yeah - we missed you. You posted a lot for a little while, so I wondered where you went. Also 'cuz we both have Frantoms.

Really sorry to hear about your mishap. That truly sucks!

On the Frantoms - I finally did cut an end off a chunk of Utah Wonderstone the other day. Getting the blade RPM up into the low end of the recommended range helped it a bit.

Only other thing I might do is go from 3" to 4" on the motor pulley and from 8" to 9" on the feed shaft pulley. Maybe - maybe not... .

OldeTimeDC

« Reply #53 on: July 29, 2023, 03:32:08 PM »

Hello everyone....been away for a long time. I regret to inform everyone that during my absence while reflecting in the ICU my priorities have changed and have decided to sell off all my equipment and all rocks, slabs, crystal clusters and most everything else I have but maybe a couple display pieces. ....maybe keep one saw to keep my foot in the door. I'm sorry but this necessary. I wish thing were other wise. I might glance in occasionally but for now I have other things more important to deal with. I can always be contacted. Take care and I wish everyone well.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up

Page created in 0.051 seconds with 42 queries.