Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Thinking about getting a new camera  (Read 8684 times)

Debbie K

Re: Thinking about getting a new camera
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2016, 06:36:19 AM »

I have one of these, but smaller, which is good for most of what I do. http://www.staples.com/Electric-Avenue-Deluxe-Table-Top-Photo-Studio-Photo-Light-Box/product_1106489 A friend gave me mine as a present; who would think of looking for something like this at an office supply store?

Debbie K

Slabbercabber

« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2016, 06:46:23 AM »

I use a Sony A55, but really it's all about the lense.  I went with Sony because I spent my time reviewing lenses first.  All three major makers have a good lense in the range of 18-135 but my research led me to Sony.  I couldn't be happier.  As far as camera bodies, I have no doubt any of the three brands will be fine.  If you plan to use the camera for purposes other than photographing your work, the wide focal length range will make you smile every time you use it.

messofrocks

« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2016, 08:44:42 PM »

I have one of these, but smaller, which is good for most of what I do. http://www.staples.com/Electric-Avenue-Deluxe-Table-Top-Photo-Studio-Photo-Light-Box/product_1106489 A friend gave me mine as a present; who would think of looking for something like this at an office supply store?

Debbie K

WOW, that is nice I go to Staples and Office depot all the time and never once have I saw that setup and for the money that is a great buy

Thank you and I will have one by tomorrow evening  LOL :grin:

Rockoteer

« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2016, 12:06:34 PM »

On the old forum....not to digress but, there was quite a discussion going about cameras and someone was using a small frame camera much like the newer slim Nikons.  I cannot however remember much about it.  I think I might go back to the old forum and do some research because that camera really peaked my interest.  It was especially good in macro mode.

Fritz

« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2016, 12:09:06 PM »

Long time lurker, first time poster here  :hello: I just had to say that shooting in RAW is great for so many reasons and the Rebel T5 is so cheap right now that you can't go wrong! I've never shot Canon myself but I have used Minolta, Sony, Nikon, and Olympus mirrorless, full frame, and APS-C DSLRs over the years.

Personally I would buy the $399 kit w/ 18-55 lens and save up for a better lens once you 'outgrow' it which you very likely will if you get more into photography. The only drawback imo for the Rebels is the relatively small viewfinder view but if you use the rear screen to frame your shots that doesn't matter nearly as much. How much did you see the 18-55 with 55-200 kit going for? The 18-55 with 75-300 is $449 at B&H. That's a good price.

edit: btw I love my Olympus E-M5 II with 12-40mm 2.8 which is 24-80mm equiv. Sweet little kit. The Sony A6000 is nice as well.

Rockoteer

« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2016, 12:18:16 PM »

Found the post and camera I was looking for on the old forum.  Thanks Amanda for leaving the search intact on the old forum.

Panasonic Lumis DMC-FH24

Fritz

« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2016, 12:24:53 PM »

Found the post and camera I was looking for on the old forum.  Thanks Amanda for leaving the search intact on the old forum.

Panasonic Lumis DMC-FH24

Yeah that's a nice little camera for a point and shoot, does it capture in RAW? The Olympus, Panasonic, and Fuji m43 cameras (and I guess the Sony's too :wink:) are all great imo. The Olympus and Pannys both use the same m43 mount which is kind of cool.

Rockoteer

« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2016, 12:52:25 PM »

LUMIX not LUMIS

I will have to look into the 'RAW'.  I am an extreme novice when it comes to cameras/photography.

Rockoteer

« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2017, 03:50:25 PM »

Well I went to the "old" forum and did a search and sure enough it was Carol M.  here is her post that got me going in this direction.

Carol M
Hi Dickb,

I have a Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS3 [which looks like a point and shoot] in that it's small, but it comes with a Leica Lens and the photos are 'tack sharp' in macro, portrait, landscape etc.
It's model name is called 'other letters' in non-North American countries.
I've had it since probably 2009 and I've actually won 'best picture' awards at The Toronto Camera Club using this camera.
It's 'scary sharp' and has image stabilization that's great even with my shaky hands.
Also, if you ever want to take photos with people, it really can lock onto faces and make everyone's face [some in the front and some in the back] end up in focus.
It's not a new model so there might be able to get it for a 'good price' I have no clue.
I'd highly recommend it. It's also great for traveling.
We went to France and Italy and this is all I took and I was delighted with the shots.
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.121 seconds with 44 queries.